Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Unknown Device

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 methalorange

methalorange

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:02 AM

ok so this seems to be a little different than most unknown device problems
all of my devices work fine

i keep getting pop ups in the task bar telling me new hardware has been found
then it pops up unknown USB device not recognized
sure enough when i go into my device manager there is an unknown device attached to the usb controller
now it seems to come and go and if i watch the device manager for a couple minutes you can see it connecting then disappearing 4, 5, 6 times in a row

it first started doing this when i had a couple usb devices plugged in (external hd, mouse, printer)
since then i have gone as far as doing a fresh XP install and not connecting any usb devices at all
but sure enough after a short while new hardware pop up and followed by unknown usb device not recognized
i check device manager and there it is
it also seems to be sitting in the registry at vid_0000&pid_0000
i can delete the registry and i can uninstall the device but it just keeps coming back

now none of this seems to be causing a problem
and all of my devices work when plugged in
but its an annoyance to have the new hardware and unknown device balloon tip pop up
i know i could disable those but clearly there is something wrong and id like to get to the bottom of it rather than just hide it

the very first time that it happened was right after i unplugged a storage device from the front of my case (rather violently)
at first i thought maybe i damaged the pins when i pulled it out
but the device was plugged into the front of my case and i disconnected those usb headers from the motherboard and still got the unknow device problems

mobo = xfx 680i lt sli
os = xp pro sp2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

Well...if I wanted to know what it might be...I would simply remove all USB devices from the system...remove the USB drivers, reboot (without attaching any USB devices) and then navigate to Device Manager.

Then I would just add back USB devices one by one.

If the phantom shows up without any USB devices attached, I would write it off as a failing USB chip function.

Your modem does not use USB connection, does it? No flashdrives attached recently?

Louis

#3 methalorange

methalorange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

i have done exactly that
and sure enough the phantom device is back as soon as the controllers have re-installed

modem does not use usb
but like i mentioned in the original post
this first started happening just after i removed a flash storage device

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

Related reading: http://windowssecrets.com/2007/04/05/01-Ho...phantom-devices AND http://windowssecrets.com/2007/04/12/02-Mo...phantom-devices

If it were me, I would reinstall the flash drive and follow the suggestions contained above.

This apparently happens frequently :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 methalorange

methalorange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:28 PM

thanks for the links louis
unfortunately i seem to be dealing with a bigger problem
im starting to think the whole usb setup on the motherboard might be toast

from the first link you posted...

Or, if I'm having a USB problem, I'll uninstall the USB Root Hubs and Controllers in Device Manager. On reboot, Windows will sort things out from scratch, leaving behind a freshly-configured, phantom-free setup.

i did this and it remained "phantom free" for all of 2 minutes before the unknown device installed itself again
also note that i did not plug any USB devices in during this time

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

I came upon this program yesterday at http://www.freeware-guide.com - dunno if it'll help as I haven't used it myself: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 methalorange

methalorange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

hmmm
according to this
my unknown device is sitting on usb port 5
which is of course the only port that i can't get working

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

I think I'd go back to the point where I would conclude that the USB chip is malfunctioning.

Last week, I had a NIC (not a chip) installed on one of my systems and it suddenly disappeared from Device Manager's listed hardware...but I could see if by looking at the hidden devices. It was dead.

Your port may be in a similar situation.

Louis

#9 methalorange

methalorange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

i have been in contact with the manufacture so hopefully they just replace it as its only just a month old

thanks for the help guys

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:21 PM

It would be a lot cheaper and faster...to just buy a USB 2.0 PCI card and install it. Even if your chip is good, I consider it wise to have a spare USB 2.0 card around.

Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815124007

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users