Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Guidance With New Build Configuration

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Odyssey42

Odyssey42

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

I'm thinking of replacing my aging Dell 4600. My needs are simple: browsing, spreadsheet, word processing, music, no gaming, but I complicate the situation by keeping multiple instances of browser windows, each with multiple tabs, open all the time, so memory is important as well as whatever demands the multiple windows put on the graphics and other parts of the system. If a new system is indicated, I will buy a mobo with CPU and build out around them, and will use XP, either Home or Pro, but unsure if Pro is important to me

Considering my system use:

I guess the first question is whether I should opt for a quad core, duo core or just upping the memory and PSU unit wattage of my Dell. So balancing cost and possible future developments, which of these do you recommend and why? My problem with the Dell is that all the open Windows are too much of a load (although a re-install might improve this considerably.)

Also what is important in terms of the various buses, memory types, and how many memory sockets, PCI-16, etc?

What minimum power PSU, especially if continuing with the Dell is the recommendation?

I have a Diamond Viper 512MB X1650Pro which I would like to use instead of buying a new graphics card. Is this adequate for my needs?

I do not require state of the art, which by the time I get my system built and running the way I want it will not be state of the art anymore anyway. The extra cost of the latest and greatest would not be a good outlay for me as my needs are modest.

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

If you aren't going to do any gaming, then you really don't need a good graphics card at all. You could jsut get a system with integrated graphics, that would be good enough for your needs. Also, if you don't get a graphics card, you won't have to worry about getting a expensive, high wattage power supply (still not a cheap one thats going to die on you though). This would probab

Suggestions for a new build:

You could probably just get 2gb of ram

A dual core processor from Intel

A basic motherboard, but has room for future upgrades

Around 300 Watt, decent name brand power supply

If you want to just upgrade your computer though, upgrading the ram might be enough for your needs. How much do you currently have? If you have 512mb or less, upgrading it to 1gb or 2gb might give you enough of a performance boost.

Edited by Sterling14, 29 January 2008 - 05:27 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

If you spec a motherboard for future upgrades, you might as well do the same with the p.s. and go 400 watts. Also a good DVD/CD burner. If you go with onboard graphics, I'd still get a board with a PCI-E slot. If you like you music, you might want to splurge on a good card like a Sound Blaster Extreme or whatever instead of onboard sound
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 29 January 2008 - 08:00 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the guidance.

I am still considering upgrading the Dell 4600, but thinking that my needs will be better met with the duo core.

My biggest problem is overload resulting from so many open windows, including windoze explorer, music player/s, Crazy Browser, Opera, and Firefox, usually all open and multiple instances of each with multiple tabs. Yes, I know that I could close a few and solve the problem, but there is a logical explanation for all the windows, and in any case that is the way I like to work.

My 4600 (vintage 2004) has PCI slots but not, I believe, PCI Express (not sure when the latter came out, but I think after my computer was mfgrd.) The Diamond X1650Pro video card that I have is PCI Express and so I assume that it cannot be used in the 4600?

So I am thinking that the video card might be a big help in dealing with window overload, but since this is a key component of the decision to build a new one or try to improve the 4600, your thoughts on this are sought.

The 4600 already has 1.3 or 1.4GB of RAM and I take the point that 2GB is probably all that XP will efficiently handle, but the type and speed of the ram may also be a factor, and so this might be a reason to upgrade. I would not go to DDR3 as that is probably not cost effective.

One reason I thought to build my own is that I have the video card, extra CD and DVD writers, ATA hard drives, an Antec 500 watt PSU and case, so the main ingredients needed are only mobo, cpu, and ram. One question here is whether SATA hdds would be helpful in dealing with my needs. (The 4600 does have SATA connectors on the mobo, BTW.)

So there is some additional thoughts to stir in. Your further comments will be appreciated.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:59 PM

Opps!

Edited by garmanma, 30 January 2008 - 05:05 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

You won't be able to use your graphics card with the Dell. With all of the parts you've already amassed and the old parts you have, all you need is a CPU, motherboard, memory, and a heatsink.
Oh yeah, and a new OS. You can't use the one you have
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#7 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:17 PM

Thanks, guys. Very helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users