Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Install Google Sketchup Or Cutlist Plus

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 askanes

askanes

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:43 AM

Hello, I recently had a pretty bad malware infection which was resolved in the malware forum (thanks SifuMike!!). However now I can't open Google SketchUp or Cutlist Plus (a woodworking program). When I try, it tells me that the shortcut to the programs contain an invalid path. I tried going to the folders to open them directly but I get the same message. I tried uninstalling, then reinstalling them. SketchUp downloaded fine but I still get the same error. Cutlist on the other hand won't even install for me. The installer downloaded ok, but when I click on it, it gives me a box citing command line parameters. I click "OK" (the only button) and it dissapears.
I'm really stuck on this, any help I can get would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:43 PM

Uninstall them again and the download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and check any box that has to do with the 2 offending programs.
**Note: do not use the utility for MS Office applications
Then reinstall the programs and see if that works
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 askanes

askanes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:34 PM

Hello Garmanma, Thanks for the reply. I tried what you suggested but I can't seem to install the Cleanup utility either. It downloads ok, but when I try to run it, it says "Command line option syntax error Type Command /? for help". there's an "OK" button and that's all. I'm not sure what to do next.
Thanks, askanes

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

Make sure all your temp files cookies and history files are cleared and download ans save to the Desktop. Then go to Safemode and install it from there. If that doesn't work and you have a XP disk, you can run sfc /scannow http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747
If you do not have an original Windows disk follow this procedure:

SFC without xp disk

To fix the problem when you only have a restore CD you'll have to search for a folder on your hard drive (or on the restore CD) that's named "i386" (without the quotes). Once you find that, copy it to your hard drive at the root (C:\i386). Make sure that the directory is located at the root of your C: drive (C:\i386) - if not, then you'll need to change the path to the proper entry in the registry edit.

Then perform this registry edit to point SFC.EXE at it:
So, the first step is to backup your registry. The easy way to do this is to set a System Restore point ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...temrestore.mspx )

Next, go to Start...Run...and type in "regedit.exe" (without the quotes) and press enter. You'll see a folder-like view on the left, and entries on the right.

Navigate down the folder view on the left to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup Just click on the + sign to expand the view of the next level - so, to start, you'll click on the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and look for the SOFTWARE entry.

Then you'll click on the + next to SOFTWARE and look for Microsoft, and so on (through the Windows and CurrentVersion keys) until you get to the Setup key. Then just click once on the Setup key.

Look in the right hand pane and double click on the entry that says "SourcePath".
In the box that pops up, type in "C:\" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then close regedit and reboot your computer. SFC.EXE /SCANNOW should now run without problems for you.

Mark

Edited by garmanma, 29 January 2008 - 05:54 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 askanes

askanes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:33 AM

Hello Mark,

Sorry I havn't responded in a while. I caught a pretty nasty bug and was laid-up for a couple of days. OK, so I searched for the the i386 folder and came up with three results, One in each of these:
"C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache"
"C:\Program Files\JAVA\jre1.6.6_03\lib"
"lib"

Does it matter which one I use??

Thanks, Andre

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:38 PM

Hello Mark,

Sorry I havn't responded in a while. I caught a pretty nasty bug and was laid-up for a couple of days. OK, so I searched for the the i386 folder and came up with three results, One in each of these:
"C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache"
"C:\Program Files\JAVA\jre1.6.6_03\lib"
"lib"

Does it matter which one I use??

Thanks, Andre

When you searched did you click "show hidden files and folders"? Then search for i386
Let me ask someone before you do anything
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 02 February 2008 - 04:43 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#7 askanes

askanes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:49 PM

No I didn't ask it to search the hidden files. I won't do anything else until I haer back.

Andre

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:58 PM

Hi askanes!

Some systems don't come with an i386 folder on the C: drive. Does your computer have a D: drive and could it be on there? Also, please let us know the exact make and model of your system so we can do some research on where it'd be located for your system. Finally, is this XP Home, XP Media Center, or XP Pro?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 askanes

askanes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:38 AM

Hello USASMA,

I mentionned to Garmanma that I did find three folders named i386. To answer your questions, my computer only has a
C drive, I am running Windows XP Home, Version 2002, SP2. As for the machine, it's a Sony Vaio. All my System Properties tab said about it was :

Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 2.4GHz
2.39GHz, 480 MB of RAM

I hope this helps, askanes

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

As your Vaio only has a C: drive, and the i386 folder wasn't found in the root of that drive (C:\i386) - I don't think that you'll be able to run SFC.EXE without the XP disk.

Do you have the Sony Restore disks? If not, can you order them from Sony? They shouldn't cost very much, and recently I had a customer come in who stated that Sony sent them to him and didn't charge for them.

If you have the Restore disks (or get them) don't run the Restore just yet. Try opening up My Computer to see if you can see the contents of the disk - does it contain an i386 folder?

Edited by usasma, 03 February 2008 - 08:35 AM.
Just another brain cramp! :0)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 askanes

askanes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

Ok, I got the recovery CD and it does in fact have an i386 folder in it.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:34 PM

Copy the entire i386 folder to C:\ and then follow garmanma's post here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=726626

#13 askanes

askanes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:02 AM

Hello Garmanma, I copied the i386 folder to the C drive in My computer, but when I tried to run SFC/SCANNOW it still asked me for the Windows CD. Did I do something wrong??

Andre

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

When it asks for the CD, doesn't it also offer to "browse" for the files? You should use that option and point it toward the i386 file
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#15 askanes

askanes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:52 PM

Sadly no, there is no browse button. just retry, continue and cancel. I tried pushing continue and it just asked for the CD again.

Andre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users