Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Username / Password Not Accepted In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Claire77

Claire77

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:45 AM

Hi everyone,

hope someone can help me! Norton anti-virus found a Trojan on my PC which it successfully removed (at least that's what it said!). However I read something which said to turn off system restore and then boot in safe mode by going into msconfig and selecting Safe mode boot option. I did this, however my username and password are not being accepted. The username & password are for my work domain, but when I click on the >>Options from the logon screen, nothing is expanded. So therefore I can't change the domain.

Also have tried logging on with Administrator and no password (as I don't know the admin password) however this doesn't work either. In the Setup menu (accessed by pressing F2 during startup) there doesn't seem to be an administrator password set.

I have also tried getting the PC to boot normally via the F8 menu but this always takes me back to safe mode!!

Really hope someone can help me here as its my work laptop and I'm back in tomorrow after an extended time off sick - timing couldn't possibly be any worse! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:11 AM

Hello,

Am I right in saying that you can't start the computer at all because of invalid credentials?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Claire77

Claire77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:23 AM

Hi Alan,

thanks so much for the prompt reply. Yes - basically when I'm at the Ctrl+Alt+Del logon in Safe mode, the username and password that I have always used are not being accepted. I get the message:

"The system could not log you on. Make sure your username and domain are correct then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case"

This username and password belongs to my work domain (although I have used it locally from home without being on their network), however on clicking the >>options button, the field where I could normally change from the domain to local is not displayed.

So basically I am stuck in safe mode and totally unable to log on. Even pressing F8 and selecting Start Windows Normally doesn't work, nor does Last Known Good Configuration....

Hope you can help!

Cheers,
Claire

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:48 AM

Since it's a work computer...why not take the problem to the Admin at your work site? He/she has the authorization to make the types of changes/corrections that you cannot.

Louis

#5 Claire77

Claire77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:58 AM

Hey Louis,

I work for a small company and as such we do not have a network admin. I've spoken to my boss who said that my user account is set up as an administrator already, however I think its the actual 'administrator' username which needs to log on, and I've not got the password. My boss will have a look at it tomorrow but I really wanted to get it sorted so that he doesn't need to spend time doing this instead of his work!

The annoying thing is that it was the Symantec / Norton site that advised to disable system restore, boot in safe mode by going into msconfig & run a full scan. However, due to this problem, I can't log into safe mode with my login credentials so I am stuck & can't go any further.

Thanks for your reply anyway, if anyone can think of anything else please let me know.

Thanks,
Claire

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

so your password no longer works?

does your login show in safe mode boot?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

You may want to post over in the "Am I Infected" forum ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ ) to get the expert's take on disabling System Restore.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

if a trojan had changed my login password I would definitely try restore before I did a clean install of my OS

I am a little confuzed tho, how do you use system restore if you can't login to the computer?

anyone?
Chewy

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

System Restore can be done outside of Windows in a couple of ways.

At work, we use PE mode to raid the old system restore points for the registry files - then replace the current files with the one's that we took out of the System Volume Information folder. We use Windows PE and don't load the registry when it offers to do that (otherwise we can't replace the hives).

There's also this method from Microsoft (haven't done it myself): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;307545
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:33 PM

few if any regular users ever set up the recovery console and the last wookie to use system restore was exiled and had to go over to the dark side

hence my ignorance John

what is PE mode?

google was not my friend

http://www.windowspe.com/

seems to be for vista family?

Edited by DaChew, 29 January 2008 - 07:35 PM.

Chewy

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:32 PM

few if any regular users ever set up the recovery console and the last wookie to use system restore was exiled and had to go over to the dark side

hence my ignorance John

what is PE mode?

google was not my friend

http://www.windowspe.com/

seems to be for vista family?

This might be of some use to you, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Prein...ion_Environment (strong with the force wiki is.)

I have tried a similar procedures to the one john describes but on a much smaller scale.
Regards,

Alan.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

The Windows Preinstallation Environment (PE) is a sortof 'abbreviated' version of Windows that can run some Windows programs. At work we run command line scanners, rootkit scanners, some antispyware apps - and a lot of Windows utilites.

The benefit of it is that it isn't cluttered with all the startups that a regular Windows installation is, and you've got the option to load or not load the registry when working in it. So a virus scan will be able to remove all the files that it detects without worrying about locked files. Also, you can easily access any directory (to include the System Volume Information folder) to get at any files that you may need (like the registry files. BTW - the method that I use works about 50% of the time.

Version 1 was used with XP (and maybe earlier?), while version 2 came out around the time that Vista did (the boot sequence for version 1 is reminiscient of XP, while the boot of version 2 looks sorta like Vista). Also, I believe they changed it from PE in version 1 to RE (Recovery Environment) in version 2. Version 1 would only recognize a USB drive if it was inserted before you booted into the PE - version 2 lets you insert a USB drive as needed.

Also, version 1 wasn't too easy for the average person to get hold of. So Bart (of BartPE fame) developed another way of doing this with your windows disk at this link: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ Version 2 is freely available to all who are interested enough to compile the boot disk, as a part of the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

Info appreciated, Alan :thumbsup:.

I didn't know what John was talking about either, allthough I guessed that it was some sort of diagnostic tool/repair tool.

Louis

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

Info appreciated, Alan :thumbsup:.

I didn't know what John was talking about either, allthough I guessed that it was some sort of diagnostic tool/repair tool.

Louis

Thats no problem, I just think of it in terms of a linux boot cd that you can use to access the host system and repair files.
Regards,

Alan.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:04 PM

It's just another tool to work with outside of Windows. It happens to be what I use the most at work, so I'm most comfortable with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users