Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disc Partitions On Media Players

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pan2

pan2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:19 AM

Hi, I have just bought a tvix c2000u media player that will have a 120Gb hard drive inserted in it. Now it has to be formatted so it can be used. My problem is that some forums discuss the various partitions they set up when formatting a new disc but never get around to saying why you do this. What is the purpose of partitions, especially in the application this one will be used for.
pan2 (yes, a newbie to this forum)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:18 AM

The main reasons I can think of to create partitions in media players is to use one for music and the other for additional file storage.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:23 AM

With the external hard drive (that I have promised myself I'll buy before march)
Im going to have 4 partions (may seem extreme but I am extremly organized) : One for music only, one for applications, one for photos & videos and one for back up.

Its just easier for some people with large collections for them to have a partion for it :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

IMO :thumbsup:, putting applications on a partition separate from the O/S does not yield any major benefit...and may actually slow Windows down (just a bit).

Since Windows is designed to look for partitions in close proximity to the O/S, I don't really imagine any benefit comes from making Windows look on another partition for those programs. If Windows fails, you will still have to reinstall those apps which are on a separate partition and you just double chances of problems by putting those two things on separate partitions (since the other partition can develop problems which have nothing to do with Windows.

Others may have different opinions...

Louis

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:16 AM

I agree with, hamluis.
I think the Operating System, and installed programs, should be on the same partition.
Fewer chances of developing OS/program problems, and a slight performance increase, due to the OS not having to look to other partitions, for the program files.

Also, if you image the OS drive, it will include all of your installed programs, so you don't have to reinstall everything from scratch. :thumbsup:

250 GB internal drive:
20 GB - OS, and installed programs
230 GB - My Documents

500 GB external drive - backups

Edited by tg1911, 29 January 2008 - 09:17 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

The point of me having applications on the external HD is because there is hardly any space on this one (the same drie as windows is on)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

Well...what else is on that drive and how large is it?

I have XP and a load of programs installed on this system. 20GB partition with 11GB unused right now. I also have my pagefile on the same partition and it accounts for 2GB by itself.

Soooo...my point is that XP and programs don't necessarily take up a lot of space, it's the other junk that people put on the C: partition (notably, in My Computer, that can and should be moved, if anything.

Of course, if you have XP on a tiny partition, that's just asking for problems. XP needs a certain amount of space to function properly and I guess that I don't deem <10 GB to be excessive.

Louis

#8 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:02 AM

Its my C: drive. 7GB in total 1GB free.
How lucky am I?

Even when I do move all of my music over there will only be about 2GB space left and Im sure I'll fill it quick.
So once C: is too full I would use my External HD for apps.

And in saying XP needs a certain amount of space to function propely, thats the whole idea of me getting an external HD so I have less problems.. :thumbsup:

Edited by Teenage.Zombiee, 30 January 2008 - 12:04 AM.

#9 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:20 AM

FWIW, when I bought my Compaq Presario SR1720NX and called Compaq before hitting the power button for the 1st time.

The individual informed me that it was the smartest thing that I could have done.

He partitioned my 160GBs into C: 152GBs(NTFS) and D: 7GBs(FAT32). The D drive is solely for the recovery with 1.2GBs free amongst other things.

Edited by 1Bart, 30 January 2008 - 01:30 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:50 AM

I agree with, hamluis.
I think the Operating System, and installed programs, should be on the same partition.
Fewer chances of developing OS/program problems, and a slight performance increase, due to the OS not having to look to other partitions, for the program files.

Also, if you image the OS drive, it will include all of your installed programs, so you don't have to reinstall everything from scratch. :thumbsup:

250 GB internal drive:
20 GB - OS, and installed programs
230 GB - My Documents

500 GB external drive - backups

The advantage of the two different partitions is that if you ever have to reformat and install the OS you will not have to do anything with the file on the other partition.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 pan2

pan2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

Thanks guys, that has helped a lot. Must say you can get to be a weenie bit side tracked though :thumbsup:

#12 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

Must say you can get to be a weenie bit side tracked though

Hehehe.. that may be me that causes that :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users