Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mail Washer And Outlook Express Being Refused Access!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Michellebro

Michellebro

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:59 AM

Hi

Not sure if anyone can help.... I have installed mailwasher and use outlook express, I have just had help to clear up a couple of infections, however everytime i go to chack my email through the above Mailwasher tells me:

"connection was refused Ensure that POP3 server is correct ( Note that connections can be refused by personal firewall software"

I just cant work out what to do!!!!

Many Thanks

Michelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:01 AM

Who's your email address through? Hotmail, Yahoo, your ISP?

I'm on Roadrunner and I can check all my mail addresses fine with Mailwasher. I also have a couple of yahoo and hotmail addys, but for them, I use PopPeeper. It works great and they are on the ball with fixes everytime hotmail or yahoo change their protocols. It also supports many other email providers.

http://poppeeper.com/

Now, I don't do anything else with them. Like answer my mail through them. I just use them to look-see and delete what I don't want to download when I open Outlook Express to get my mail.

I do have an older version of Mailwasher and sometimes it does burp when checking all four accounts at once. I will get a message box saying it couldn't access one account and possibly because of firewall settings. When it does that, I just go back up to the menu and select the individual account that Mailwasher is complaining about and tell it to do it again. Then it works.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:42 AM

can you clarify; when you run mailwasher will IT check the mail for you or cannot IT log in?

or Outlook express? or both?

#4 Michellebro

Michellebro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hi

thanks for your response - i use outlook express and when i run it alone without mailwasher first this is the error message i receive:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Server: 'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

i guess this is why Mailwasher is not working either.

look forward to hearing from anyone that can help.

Michelle

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

please have a rummage on this orange site

http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/phpBB2/

see this
http://help.orange.co.uk/documentDisplay.d...cPropValue=kb79

can you please tell us if you can log into the web mail or not ?

I have been trying for the past 10 minutes to create a fresh account to test the server;unfortunatrely the charater check is defeating me

my question is, if you cannot log in with either OE OR mailwasher that the server is off line?

BUT

https://membercentre.orange.co.uk/MCPres/lo...!-830461958

can yu log in here?

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

of interest, is anything else on your computer misbehaving? and what security do you have on board and when did you last run all your scans?

#7 Michellebro

Michellebro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:42 AM

yes I can log into webmail via orange, however i really prefer Outlook Express.
I am using Zonelabs Personal Firewall and Norton AV.
My Scans were all run recently. I did have viruses however A member of Malware Team on another forum cleaned up my system. It appears that this problem started as my machine was cleaned up.

Mailwasher or OE i dont think can log in.

I think this answers everyones questions.

Look forward to some advice

Thanks

michelle

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:46 AM

how many addresses do you have IN Outlook express?
have you yet tried to remove, then reprogram OE with them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users