Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kjoette

kjoette

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:02 AM

For several weeks I've had problems with my computer signing in and making a connection with my defalt browser, internet explorer and windows live messager/mail. It was only periodic before, but now it seems to happen 8 times out of 10. I get a downward white arrow down by the icons where the windows live icon would be when I can't connect, and every now and then a large white outline of a box on my desktop. I have to restart my computer several times lately to make a connection, if I cn't, I've been just using netscape to at least get on the web. I've tried several spyware-adware scanning tools recommended by microsoft and this site, still no luck. Can somebody help me and point me in the right direction? What is this, and how to I fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:22 AM

Hello,

This could be any number of problems, first you need more information in order to find the culprit. Start with the event viewer in administrative tools in the control panel, under the sections, are there any errors or warnings?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 kjoette

kjoette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

Hello!
Sorry for the long delay, I have been out of town. Unfortunately, my computer is still having the same problems with Login at start up for Windows Live Messenger and Internet Explorer. When I go into event viewer, there are are errors: Apllication error records, system error records, and custom log error records. Going into the properies of the errors, it reads for Type: Warning; Source: Userenv; Category: None; User: System/Compaq Admin; Event; 1517/1524. The only ERROR message I got with the warning meaasges were Application Hang's, whatever all this means...So, now what?

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

What security products are installed on the system?
Anti virus
anti spyware
firewall
Regards,

Alan.

#5 kjoette

kjoette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:10 PM

Hi Alan,

To be honest, I am only running Cox High Speed Internet Security Suite for my spyware/adware protection, as well as windows defender for my firewall protection.

Thanks!
Kimberly

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

The security on the system looks ok, it certainly sounds like certain applications are corrupted.

Do you have a windows CD? if so, put it in the drive and go to start then run and type

sfc /scannow

This will perform the windows system file checker and restore damaged windows files.

Also you may try advanced windows care from here Tell it to update and do a scan. then restart remember to back up important files to be safe.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users