Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Applications Quit Abruptly!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 cabacha

cabacha

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

Hi,

I started having this problem on my laptop recently. All the applications like MS Word, MS Excel, Microsoft Outlook quit abruptly without any errors or message within few minutes after start. Even HijackThis and DSS quits abruptly.
I have already tried running Symantec's Norton Anti Virus in safe mode. I even tried running HijackThis in safe mode, to see if it still quits and IT DID!!

My browser windows work fine and is not affected by this virus. I checked the windows Event Viewer but could not find anything suspicious there either.

Could somebody please help me fix this problem?

Thanks a lot in advance!

-Cabacha

Moved from the XP Forum.~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 28 January 2008 - 11:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PyroManiac606

PyroManiac606

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

Hi,

Have you tried re-installing the applications that are experiencing this?

Edited by PyroManiac606, 28 January 2008 - 11:19 PM.

#3 cabacha

cabacha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:23 PM

The problem happens with any kind of application, like MS Word, MS Excel, Eclipse, NetSwitcher, Even a newly installed application. I suspect its some kind of malware on my laptop. But I dont know how to find/troubleshoot it.

Thanks
-Cabacha

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:52 AM

Some malware infections target .exe files and without repairing that file association ALL .exe files will lose functionality.

Please download Deckard's Association File Tool (DAFT) and save it to your desktop.
  • Rename daft.exe to daft.com and double click on it to run.
  • Read the disclaimer and click OK.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • If it finds faulty file associations, they will appear in red beside a checkbox. If this occurs, just place a checkmark (tick) in the boxes in question.
  • Click the Fix button.
You may need to change the file extension to something else such as .bat, .pif, or .scr. Example: daft.bat or daft.scr

If that does not help, see Fix or Restore Broken .EXE .LNK .COM Association Caused by Virus
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 cabacha

cabacha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:42 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply quietman7!!

I ran DAFT as mentioned by you and it said "All associations are ok!"

Then I visited the link metioned by you. Most of the descriptions on the link say the problem is applications that are started by .exe fail to start. But my situation is a bit different: All of my programs that start with .exe are able to start fine and also work fone for few minutes. But after few minutes, they die/quit abruptly.

You are right in a sense that the problem is somehow related to .exe files so far. The link mentioned by you suggests to run the association command again:
assoc.exe=exefile

I did that. As soon as I did that all the icons on my computer for .exe files changed to the standard file icon on windows. But it did not make any change to the problem I am facing.

Thanks again for your help....Is there anything else that you could suggest?

-Cabacha

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

Have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began?

#7 cabacha

cabacha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:19 AM

Yes I tried but unfortunately I could not find any previously created (Manually or by XP automatically) restore points. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
-Cabacha

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

Perform an Online Virus Scan like BitDefender.
(These require Internet Explorer to work. Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)

#9 cabacha

cabacha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:54 AM

I have Corporate Symantec Anti-Virus installed on my laptop (its my office laptop) and I ran it in Safe Mode but it couldn't catch anything. At the link mentioned by you, I also noticed Symantec.
1. Is it actually performed by Symantec?
2. Do these vendors provide this service free of cost?
3. Most importantly, is it safe (I am a bit concerned because its my office laptop).

Thanks
-Cabacha

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

The Symantec link will test your computer's exposure to online security threats and yes it is performed by the same vendor. Since you already have Symantec, I recommend performing a different scan.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.

These online scans are safe and free of charge.

#11 cabacha

cabacha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:47 PM

Makes sense!...Let me try another one then.

-Cabacha

#12 cabacha

cabacha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

Hi,

I tried online virus scanners from all Symantec, McAfee and BitDefender but none of them found anything.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

If all associations are ok and your not finding any malware, then I'm not sure what the problem is at this point. You can try doing a "Repair Install with Recovery Console". The Recovery Console is a Windows utility that provides a DOS-like command line from which you can run some repair programs.

#14 cabacha

cabacha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

I ran another online virus scanning tool and it reported 1 virus:

File: C/WINDOWS/winr.exe
Description: Infected with Backdoor.Hupigon.2051

I could not find winr.exe at the location C:/WINDOWS

I ran HijackThis and it did not report this virus/file as well. Any idea how to delete it?

Thanks

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:57 PM

What scan did you perform? Maybe it removed the file and that's why your not finding it on your system. I did a search on winr.exe and it appears to be a backdoor Trojan.

Backdoor Trojans, IRCBots and Infostealers are very dangerous because they provide a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data which they send back to the hacker. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans as part of an exploit to to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge. Read the Danger: Remote Access Trojans.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach.

Although the backdoor Trojan was identified and removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because the backdoor Trojan has been removed the computer is now secure. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read "When should I re-format?".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users