Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder Redirection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

OK so I tried to move the "My Documents" folder per Changing the target in the start menu.
I had to create the folder on the 2nd partition I'm using, and when saving files I have to navigate
to this location in order for a proper "save" operation.

What I would like to know, is how to move the %UserProfile% to the 2nd Partition or maybe how
to move %Docume~1% or %My Documents% if that's correct. I'm not sure which environemt variable
I have to move or where to make the change.

Should this be done from the command line, the registry, or by changing the target folder itself
and just deal with navigating the folders?

The effect I want to have is to tell XP and programs that the %SystemRoot%\Documents and Settings\%Users%
is not where %My Documents% and %UserProfile% resides, but rather on E:\Documents and Settings\%Users%

How can I accomplish this without as few headaches as possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

I've successfully relocated my My Documents folder using TweakUI from MS. I'm not sure about changing the user profile, though. Let me do some research.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

2 links that may help:
http://www.jiffle.net/node/95
http://weblogs.asp.net/whaggard/archive/20.../09/370189.aspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:38 PM

Thanks Andrew, I'd do the research myself but feeling ill so I appreciate the help

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

Usasma, I appreciate the information however, the Second article doesn't apply exactly to XP but rather
tells me more about the logical locations of the Files.

When Clicking the link to XP within the Second article this explains nothing less than preserving a Profile
exactly byte for byte and moving it to a new one or a new installation.

I'm not interested in copying SID's just yet because I want to do this without issues.

This is so much easier on Linux.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

Okay, I think I've got it. This worked for me in my testing VM.

DISCLAIMER: NEITHER I NOR BLEEPING COMPUTER WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE DONE USING THIS METHOD. NO WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IS OFFERED AS TO THE VALIDITY, ACCURACY, OR EFFECTIVENESS OF THIS METHOD. So There.

Step 1: Create a new, temporary Administrator level account. Log out of all profiles and log into the new account.

Step 2: Create the root folder for all the user profiles (what C:\Documents and Settings is now), I'm going to use D:\NewDocs for this example.

Step 3: Right-click on My Computer and click on Properties. Switch to the Advanced Tab, then click on the Settings button under the User profiles section

Step 4: Select each profile to be moved in turn and click on the Copy To button. Enter the path to the folder you created in step 2 plus the name of the user: e.g. D:\NewDocs\Andrew
Once this has been done for all accounts (except the temporary one you're logged into) move on th step 5.

Step 5: Log out of the temp account and log into each account to be moved in turn. This must be done once logged in to each account!! Open the command line (Start->Run...->cmd) and enter these two commands:

set userprofile=D:\NewDocs\Andrew
 set homepath=D:\NewDocs\Andrew

Replace the D:\NewDocs\Andrew part with the path to where you copied the profile for the account you're currently logged in as.

Step 6: Now, log back into the temporary admin account and open up regedit.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Edit the ProfilesDirectory value and change it to the root folder you made in step 2, e.g. ProfilesDirectory=D:\NewDocs

Step 7: Close the registry and reboot the computer. Log into your regular Administrator account and delete the temporary Admin account.

You're Done!

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 28 January 2008 - 09:19 PM.

#7 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

Well this looks like what I wanted, I will attempt it in the next three days.

While this is one way that will work, I thought there was another method via moving the file (not just My Docs)
with less interaction on the Command line and no need for the Temporary account.

I'm not complaing mind, I can make a script from you've provided or several seperate scripts.

Are you a MS-Desktop Tech?

If so, I would petition to make you and MVP cuz this is invaluable.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:13 AM

No problem! And no, I'm not a MSCDST. I actually don't hold any certifications.

#9 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:21 AM

Well if not a MVP how about Vote #1 Amazing Andrew For President!

Seriously, what a great post Andrew, I too will keep this saved for future reference.
MCP
MSDST

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:02 AM

Thanks.

Like my grandma used to say "those people who are smart enough to be president are too smart to run."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users