Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Language

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:04 PM

If you use these not so private translation sites for like e-mail and these are somewhat personal, is there a privacy question ?

i.e. . . . Babel, etc.

Can someone else pick up on this ?

I would like to have some translation software but it is taking me some time to get it all down.
In the mean time I need to use some translation technique and am somewhat forced to use Babel Fish, etc.

So I'd like to know more .

I will be greatful for your reply !

Edited by Jove, 28 January 2008 - 07:06 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

By clicking on the privacy policy icon at the bottom of the http://babelfish.altavista.com/ website gets you to their AltaVista Privacy Policy Statement. There you can see what standards they adopt and if you are willing to live with their terms of service. Always keeping in mind nothing on the web web is 100% private.

You can check out each translation service that way

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

Alright, thanks !

If you happen to have a ready answer fine if not, I'll probably find it in reading further into these privacy policies, as there is a bit there.

But, I am wondering I haven't exactly figured out how this cookie tracking devices work and I really am not understanding why these schemers are not impaired by firewalls, thats not my question, but, . . .

Can someone sort of track their way back to e.g, the imprint that was the wording on the page where you translated ?

As it would seem possible to me from what I have heard about the capacity for these so called marketers to track your internet habits in the name of fair play, and the U.S. economy.

I really think that all this stuff is horrendous and illegal, but most of all, the unscrupulous can never be over estimated,

and can endanger the welfare of people simply by reading their mail. That makes my blood boil !

I just envision persons hanging around a portal like Babel, just simply loving every moment of the invasion of privacy.
and really getting their kicks, am I normal, do I have a misconception problem, or am I just paranoid.

So, why don't you tell me, . . Smile, Don't Worry, Be Happy ?

These things hardly ever happen, its, like getting hit with a lightning bolt, or riding on the roller coaster, these things simply never happen.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:09 AM

The last thread was a little to much, sorry.

Hey Can anyone tell me what the foreign language, e.g., Chinese Simp. symbols are I have some communication text I received, there little question marks ???,??, etc., but when I transfer them to my note pad, them appear as little boxes, what the heck are they anyway, and how do they work , ex. Babel Fish, etc.

What the, . .How the heck !! ??

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:52 AM

The last thread was a little to much, sorry.

Hey Can anyone tell me what the foreign language, e.g., Chinese Simp. symbols are I have some communication text I received, there little question marks ???,??, etc., but when I transfer them to my note pad, them appear as little boxes, what the heck are they anyway, and how do they work , ex. Babel Fish, etc.

What the, . .How the heck !! ??

The question marks and boxes means you don't have the fonts needed to display the calligraphic characters of the message.

Yes, you are paranoid. But when it comes to the I-net, that is not a bad thing.

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

OK thanks,
I did find that wikiperdia or webopedia, have some text on this, it is amazing how that all works, I mean the transcription of
programming that goes into a split second electronic translation of a little box holding all that informaion, what a fantastic technical science! . . . To say the least.

Yes, I think that with those kind of capabilities things like privacy could be much better protected, like the US Mail use to be but with the commercial traffic the spam and junk, make everyones life a miserable mess, and then the criminal minds take advantage of everyone, . . but again, this could all be prevented, and good commercial practices can still survive and serve their intended purpose.

Thanks.

Edited by Jove, 29 January 2008 - 07:44 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users