Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unknown publisher

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ghorfa91

ghorfa91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:39 AM

I wonder if i can receive help on this. When installing certain applications i am being held up by an Internet Explorer Security Warning stating that windows cannot download the file mentioned because the publisher is unknown. This has to do also with digital signatures.

Please help.

Alan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:41 PM

Are these applications that are installing from a website?

#3 ghorfa91

ghorfa91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:48 AM

one simple example, and i was trying to install from a trusted website, was MSN Games. There are certain games that need to download some software, before you will be able to play, and IE was not letting me download these files due to the error i mentioned.

Thanks

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:39 PM

Well the error is there to protect you. If the application is unsigned, then it means it has not been verified as from a known corporation and should be treated with caution. This is an error you want to keep on and you will need to make the decision as to whether or not the app should be installed.

If its from a trusted source, then allow it, if its not do not.

#5 ghorfa91

ghorfa91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:33 AM

it does not give me the option to install or otherwise, it just closes the window

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:20 PM

Click on tools, internet options, and under security tab, custom level button, look for the setting that says Download unsgned activex controls and change it to prompt.

personally i would leave this off as most of these are spyware and other malware

#7 Windows...

Windows...

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:46 PM

Actually. Im having the same problem. I have customly set my IE to prompt. and it still comes up with the digital signature thing. Im curious to know if its at all possible to completly disable the reading program so it can function if there isnt any other way. I know its probably something wrong with my computer because other people with win XP sp2 have no problem with it. I really need to figure this out. Ive tried the website for the program that im trying, but theyve told me just to disable it in the security center (its the firewall exceptions, right?) and nothing else. I need help.

Thanks in advance

Windows XP user.

#8 ghorfa91

ghorfa91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:06 AM

it did not work unfortunately. However, on another computer running windows xp i do not have this problem.

#9 Windows...

Windows...

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 07:50 AM

yea, i think we might have done something wrong to mess up our computers certificate reader. but im not sure. Is unblocking the program meaning going to windows firewall?

#10 ghorfa91

ghorfa91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:50 AM

Hi Grinler,

this did not work.

Alan

[quote name='Grinler' date='Mar 9 2005, 10:20 PM']Click on tools, internet options, and under security tab, custom level button, look for the setting that says Download unsgned activex controls and change it to prompt.

personally i would leave this off as most of these are spyware and other malware[/quote]
[QUOTE]

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:40 PM

Go into your services control panel see if the cryptological service is running

#12 ghorfa91

ghorfa91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:05 AM

What is the cryptological service!!!!

Alan

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:57 PM

I meant: Cryptographic Services

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:17 PM

The settings that are preventing you from downloading are in your IE security settings.

Open IE, click on "tools", then "internet options", then on the security tab, then click on "custom level" and check the "prompt" choice in all the activeX settings. (usually the first three settings)

Enable "run activeX controls and plugins

Enable "script activeX controls marked safe"

Enable "file download"

Realize you are defeating many settings that affect your vulnerability to viruses, trojans and other malware.

#15 Windows...

Windows...

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 07:03 PM

surprizingly, it didnt work. I then went to my activeX control page, and found that most of the controls were "damaged". Im wondering how to re-download them, as i deleted them. Was that a bad move? anyway. now that ive found the problem (i think) i want to know how to fix it.im just happy i found it. go me! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users