Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Sp2 Fully Updated Hangs On Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael07

Michael07

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:40 PM

Nasty little thing - my computer - intermittently (don't you hate that?) - hangs in boot right after the XP logo where the blue lines scroll/roll near the bottom of the screen. it seems to finish that but then hangs there and does not get to the welcome screen or the "windows is starting up" screen.

any ideas? my services.msc has been acting a little funny too - is there a service or two that, if disabled, might cause that? or anything else i might try to re-set? brainstorming most welcome.

Thanks lots, Mikl
A bird in the hand ... makes typing difficult.

Mikl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Next time it does that, immediately look in the event log. Check under the System category for events with the time stamp near the failed boot.

You can access the event viewer by going to the Start Menu and clicking on Run... and entering eventvwr.msc and pressing Enter.

#3 Michael07

Michael07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:11 PM

thx andrew -
i checked the event log for the time of the failed boot attempts, and there was nothin around that time in system or applications. i am surprised ... i might try to shut down and reboot sometime soon just too see (but since the boot is unreliable, i am a little reluctant - standby's easier, for now).

Mikl

#4 Michael07

Michael07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

you know, the hang-up happens so early in the boot process, right before the welcome screen appears, that i'm not sure it would even show up in eventvwr ... but i could be wrong about that.

Mikl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users