Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer "not Responding"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:30 PM

Well, Here I am again!! Another day, another problem!!! Seems like using Windows is the same as having a SECOND JOB!! :thumbsup:

MUCH too often, when I open Internet Explorer 7, I soon find that the browser is NOT RESPONDING....cannot accept any commands...in fact the mouse pointer is "stuck" in the full hourglass state no matter where I move it on the browser's window!! Then, I open Task Manager and LO and BEHOLD on the Applications Tab...there is Windows Internet Explorer under "task" and the words "Not Responding" under the heading "status"!!! This happens sometimes when I first open the browser and I am still on the start page....but more often it happens after I have moved around to a couple or more pages on the net. Also, happens frequently when I have opened several NEW TABS in the same window. Also, it seems to happen more often when I try to go directly to certain "locations" (from a shortcut)......for example, Google's Gmail Inbox.

If I close EVERYTHING and reboot then the difficulty probably won't re-occur for quite a while but TODAY it seems to be happening MUCH MORE OFTEN than it ever has before!!!

I SURE hope that SOMEONE here can help me out with THIS ONE!!

Thank goodness it hasn't happened during this posting!!!

PLEASE HELP?!?!? THANKS for listening!!! :flowers:

trumpetman51 (John)
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:02 PM

Hello Trumpetman51,

How much RAM do you have on your system? How many programs do you have running when this happens?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:49 PM

Hello Orange Blossom!

Thank you for responding to my topic post! To answer your question I have 512MB of SDRAM on this system which is powered with a Pentium III running @ 750MHz. I have my Page File set for 1280MB on the C drive which is 20GB and currently is approximately one-fourth Used Space and three-fourths Free Space. I also have a D Drive which is 60GB and is occupied at just about the same ratio of one-fourth used space...three-fourths free.

You know, you are the first person to reply to this post and interestingly IE7 has not "frozen", "locked up" OR gone to "not responding" all week. In fact, I cannot even remember the last time that it happened. Everything seeems to be running quite smoothly now and I am happy that it is BUT I am NOT happy that I cannot explain how or why it is now behaving just as it should.

I have always been quite diligent about continually "cleaning up" after IE and my hard drives and also keeping them from being more than even SLIGHTLY fragmented. I HAVE become even MORE diligent about these things of late and I have even removed some programs from my system that I wasn't totally confident in as to their usefullness or tustworthiness. Since I "put up" this topic I have also run some good old fashioned spyware/adware/malware finder/cleaners and reinstalled all my browser "helpers" such as Java Flash and Shcockwave.

Beyond all of these things I cannot explain what WAS happening....why...OR why it no longer has been happening.

SOooo, I think I am OK....but THANK YOU FOR CHECKING ME OUT...I appreciate it....MUCH!

And....DON't YOU WORRY....if it starts happening again I WILL definitely be back!!!

Thanks again and Happy February Computing to you, my friend!

trumpetman51 (John) :thumbsup:
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

I'm glad the problem is no longer plaguing you. Perhaps some of the clean-up etc. you did solved the problem, or if you updated Windows since your initial post, perhaps the update solved the problem.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users