Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Turn On Redux

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raygezero

raygezero

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:14 PM

I wish the solution to my problem was as simple as remembering to put the memory in, but it isn't. The situation is this: the computer is seemingly in perfect working order, one evening it is shut down and the next morning it doesn't power back on. Pushing the power button gets no response whatsoever, no beeps, no lights, no whirring of fans or disk drives, nothing. My first thought was that it was the power supply, but there are a couple of things that make me question that. For one, there is a small green light on the back of the power supply which turns on when the power cord is plugged in, I assume this is an indicator light and that it would not turn on if the power supply was shot. Secondly, I was able to cause the power supply fan to spin by using a technique like the one described at the bottom of this page: http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm. It has occurred to me that maybe its just the switch itself which is bad, but I don't have a multimeter and so don't know how to check that. At this point it seems likely that motherboard is dead, but again I'm not sure how to test it. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and some wise tech guru out there can point me in the right direction. Your ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Edited by raygezero, 28 January 2008 - 08:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:32 PM

To test the motherboard and the switch. Locate the front panel connections on the motherboard. This will be where the power switch, Power lead, Reset Switch, and HDD lead connect. Remove the power switch connector and using a small screw driver short the two pins this should turn the computer on if the switch is bad and the motherboard is good. If you get no response there is a chance the motherboard is bad. There is still a chance that the power supply is bad. Even though it powers on one or more of the output voltages may be wrong. Worst case scenario the power supply shorted out and fried the motherboard. After trying the above mentioned if you get no results I would try a loaner power supply if one is available before ordering a new motherboard.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 raygezero

raygezero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

Because I'm an uneducated amateur, could you clarify a bit? I think I know what you mean but I'd hate to barbecue my motherboard because I did the wrong thing. The cable running from the switch to the motherboard connects to a series of pins which are configured like this:

[codebox]
. .
. . -> This way to the front of the tower
. .
. .
[/codebox]

The corresponding cables which connect to these pins are colored thusly:
[codebox]
none
black none
red none
black black
green yellow
[/codebox]

Across which two should I short?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:34 AM

List your computer make and model if its a manufacture built such as Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway etc.. If the computer is a Dell I will need the service ID number off the back of the computer (White sticker with a barcode on it). If it was custom built for you I will need the motherboard make and model.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 raygezero

raygezero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

It is a HP Media Center 800 series (854n I believe), system number DB288A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users