Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings from an "oldie newbie" in Iowa

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unyquity

unyquity

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:52 AM

Greetings all!

I've been Googling for months trying to find an answer to a problem I have (which I'll be posting/adding to a post later), and I keep getting hits to this sight.

After reading some of the posts, I figured it couldn't possibly hurt to join such a helpful group of folks, so here I am!

I say I'm an "oldie newbie" because I was a very experienced/advanced 'user' in the late 1970's and early 1980's...but all things change, and my first husband (who was a total computer nerd) left with his computer and I didn't really get back 'into' computers until the mid 1990's.

I now consider my fairly knowledgeable (I have to be, since my husband and I make our living as lapidary artists on eBay). We're running a Compaq, Intel 1.8 GHz processor. XP Pro with an 80 GB hardrive, enough RAM to kill a charging rhino, with broadband satellite for internet (backed up by standard modem line), and all the normal "bings and bells" (Norton anti-virus and 3 different spyware/adware programs). I'm usually at this computer 16 hours a day, so I generally notice quickly when something becomes 'out of whack', it's just with all the newer/fancier technology, I sometimes find myself overwhelmed.

In the "good ole bad ole days" computer maintenance used to be SO simple and straightforward, and now I find myself lost just trying to FIND help and answers. However, in the "good ole bad ole days", it wasn't possible to take pictures of something I created in Iowa, and sell them via the internet to buyers across the globe...so I'm not whining, just rambling :thumbsup: Back in the 70's we had (get this!) an 8 kps modem...which meant you could usually transfer a page of text in less than a couple of hours!

Well, that's about enough rambling for now...I'm going to go try yet again to find a solution to my computer's headache.

Rock ON!

Unyquity

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:33 AM

:thumbsup:
Good "old" days are gone for sure. But we still are in good days. At least faster than 8kbs. Im still on dial up so you no how that is. I also sell on ebay. What a neat thing the internet is!
Enjoy your stay!

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:30 PM

Hello and welcome to BC. Nice to have you with us. Feel free to seek advice should you ever need it. We all get those computer headaches. Enjoy your visits.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:10 PM

Good to here from another "on computer many hours a day" person.

YES, unyquity,
malware problems have developed
in parallel with the advances
in the basic technology
of these Windows
usin' PCs.

Just our luck, huh?

I'm happy you found a place online that
offers folks a chance to talk out those problems
and find solutions to them, while collecting
from the myriad sources a typical
Google response now brings
right to our screens
instantly ...
even more possibilities for consideration and discussion.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:12 PM

You will find a lot of information here at BC, and a friendly membership who volunteer some of their time and expertise to help one another. Computers are so very more complex than even a few years ago (I learned on a commodore 64, so you can guess how long I have been learning), and no one can know everything about all the various aspects.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users