Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clicking Weblinks In Email Causes Long Delays

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rji2goleez

rji2goleez

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

I don't quite see an answer to my specific problem here. I use Thuderbird 2.0 for email and firefox for browsing. When I have a web link embedded in the body of email and click on the link, it takes a very very long time for firefox to start and open to the linked page. By long time, I'm talking at least a minute. Understand that firefox by itself opens without issue when I click on its icon. clicking on links embeded in web pages is also not an issue. It's only when the html link is in another program such as Thunderbird. I don't see the answer in the 'firefox hangs' link and otherwise cannot find the answer.

Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

Hello,

At a glance, the process would be a variation of this model.

Email recieved->Link clicked->find program to open link-> Start firefox-> email client access firefox in memory-> give the browser dirctions->done.
|
Firefox loaded into memory->addons started->directions recieved-> follow directions-> done.

This is the basic process that will happen, granted it shouldn't take that long to complete.
Have you tried letting thunderbird use a different browser? if it is quicker on another browser then it is likely that FF has a problem.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 rji2goleez

rji2goleez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:32 PM

Hello,

At a glance, the process would be a variation of this model.

Email recieved->Link clicked->find program to open link-> Start firefox-> email client access firefox in memory-> give the browser dirctions->done.
|
Firefox loaded into memory->addons started->directions recieved-> follow directions-> done.

This is the basic process that will happen, granted it shouldn't take that long to complete.
Have you tried letting thunderbird use a different browser? if it is quicker on another browser then it is likely that FF has a problem.

Thanks for the response. I will try having T-bird point to IE instead. However, the problem with T-bird to FF seems to be getting worse. In fact, there was a time when there was no noticeable delay to carry out the steps you describe above. All appeared to function as one would expect. Just to let you also know, I run CCleaner, Adware, and similar utities regularly to clean out the gunk.

Not that I can honestly suspect this to be the issue but in case it sparks some ideas, I do run a wireless network in my house and also have network drives hanging off the router as well. but I wouldn't think this would be a problem. I'm stumped!

thanks

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:49 AM

I would advise cleaning out tempory files and the prefetcher, but as you have ccleaner, you probably are.
Using the wireless shouldn't be a problem, that would mainly influence the speed at which the page is being displayed.
One idea does spring to mind, when was the last time you compressed the mail folders?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 rji2goleez

rji2goleez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:51 AM

I would advise cleaning out tempory files and the prefetcher, but as you have ccleaner, you probably are.
Using the wireless shouldn't be a problem, that would mainly influence the speed at which the page is being displayed.
One idea does spring to mind, when was the last time you compressed the mail folders?

I've tried that as well. Interesting though . . . when I got the email notification about your response, I opened the email, clicked the link and FF immediately opened to this post. So now it seems it happens with some weblinks and not others. That will make it harder to pin down the issue. So, it's a crap shoot right now. If I click on a web link in an email, it will either open immediately or pause for at least 60 seconds before opening the web page. I have no idea.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:14 PM

Here's a thought:

My AV scans the website as it is downloading. The more stuff that is on it, especially images, video files etc. the longer it takes to load or to open from a link in my e-mail on the very rare occasions when I actually click on one of those links. (For security reasons, it is generally best NOT to click on links in e-mails). E-Bay is a page that comes to mind, and that is when I type the address in the address bar. E-bay takes about twice as long to load as Bleepingcomputer normally does for me. Note: I never click on E-bay links in e-mails.

The extra time could very well be the time the AV is taking to scan the page while it downloads to your system.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users