Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System 32 Not Found

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 cfs

cfs

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:56 PM

Hi Forum,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time and have had amazing help in the past. I was wondering if anyone could help with my current situation.

I own a Toshiba laptop that is running Windows XP. The laptop is about 5 years old but was running in great condition as it is only used for the basics such as internet surfing, downloading pictures, writing on word, web cam conferencing, and phone calls.

Yesterday, when it was time to shut down my computer there was an automatic update icon on the shut down icon. Per usual, I clicked it and went to bed. When I woke up in the morning and turned on my computer, it would not load up the XP sign in screen at all. Instead, a black screen appeared which read something like:

System 32 isn't working so it can't set up windows...need cd-rom starter and put it in, then press "R".

My system is a Japanese OS. Although my translation is not the exact wording as it may say on an English OS, the meaning should be similar.

The problem is that I cannot locate my cd-rom.

Can I use someone else's xp cd-rom or am I in the same boat as sina518? Do I have to venture in the unknown with Linux because I don't have any fund for a new cd?
If not, is all my information lost that is on the hard drive or can it somehow be retrieved?
What may my options be?
Thanks For Your Possible Help,

CFS

Edited by cfs, 28 January 2008 - 01:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:14 PM

Hi cfs, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

You can use another CD to perform a repair provided that the CD is the same version as your installation of Windows.

Could you post the original (Japanese?) error message?

#3 cfs

cfs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

Hi Amazing Andrew,

Thanks for replying. I will post the original Japanese tomorrow morning. It will take me that long because I have no computer access besides at work as of now. However, if I can access my email trough my child's NDS I will mail it tonight that way. I would mail it through my cell phone but I can't find a cell around that supports Japanese language input.

Thanks Again,
Anthony

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:44 PM

Alrighty then

#5 cfs

cfs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

Hi Amazing Andrew,

Here is a picture of my screen when I turn on my computer.

Hope This Is Helpful,
CFS

Attached Files

Edited by cfs, 29 January 2008 - 08:01 AM.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:02 AM

Ah! I know that error! You can use any full XP CD that matches your version of Windows (i.e. Home/Professional, SP1/SP2) I'm not sure if it needs to be the Japanese version, I wouldn't think so.

If you have access to such a disk, let us know and we can walk you through the process.

For everyone else, the error in English is:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
C:\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-Rom. Select "r" at the first screen to start repair.

#7 cfs

cfs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:28 AM

Thanks,

I do have access to a an XP home edition in English from a friends computer. It is for a different brand computer though.

A question about the cd. I am assuming SP means Service Pack. If I have the XP Home Edition cd do I still need to check if it is a service pack 1 or 2. Because I know my wifes computer is XP Home edition but not sure about the SP.

I would really appreciate a walk through in this process.

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what would have caused this to happen?

-CFS

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

Thanks,

I do have access to a an XP home edition in English from a friends computer. It is for a different brand computer though.

That may work. Some OEM disks don't have the recovery console available on them, though.

A question about the cd. I am assuming SP means Service Pack.

yup!

If I have the XP Home Edition cd do I still need to check if it is a service pack 1 or 2. Because I know my wifes computer is XP Home edition but not sure about the SP.

It's best to use one of the same SP. However, for the operations we'll be performing, I don't thinks it's neccessary. All we need to be able to do is boot into the recovery console and be able to access the installation of Windows.

I would really appreciate a walk through in this process.

THere will, of course, be a small fee :thumbsup:

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what would have caused this to happen?

Gremlins.

#9 cfs

cfs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

Hi,

I believe the disk does has recovery on it. I don't have it in front of me but I remember reading recovery on it.

Never really purchased help on a computer so you will need to walk me through this as well. Or is this a donation to BC?

Any chance you can tell me about the Gremlins, besides no food after midnight, so they don't come back?

Thanks Again,
CFS

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:21 PM

FWIW: The use of the word "recovery" on a disk...does not necessarily mean the same thing at all times.

Recovery Console is part of the basic XP and is accessed to perform various repairs of the system.

Recovery CDs/disks, OTOH, are intended to be used by the owner to return the system to the same state it was when first purchased.

So....don't rush into action with your CDs :thumbsup:. Allow Andrew and others to guide you.

Louis

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

Although our fees are exorbitant, most folks are more than willing to settle their bill here. Fortunately, we do offer an unconditional money back guarantee. The fee for our services is $0 US (which converts to 0). Happy computing! :thumbsup: (Amazing Andrew was joking, as am I)

Most Toshiba laptops come with a disk image on the restore CD - you won't be able to run the Recovery Console from that. Let us know the exact model number so that we can make sure that this is correct.

What make and model computer did your friend's CD come from? And what does it say on the front of the CD?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:07 AM

(Amazing Andrew was joking, as am I)

Right... joking... :thumbsup:

#13 cfs

cfs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:31 AM

Hi Forum,

Thanks for the warning hamluis. Last night I was very close to pressing F12 and doing this on my own.

My Toshiba laptop is a Toshiba Dynabook ES/425 CME WinXP Home

My friend owns a Dell but it will take me a day or 2 to get the make and model.

The front of the cd reads:

(at top)
Reinstallation CD
Micresoft Windows XP Home Edition

(on left)

Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer. This CD is not for reinstallation of programs and drivers.

Thanks,
CFS

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

You should be able to launch the Recovery Console from your friend's CD. Be very, very careful not to do anything else with it - as it will wipe your system if you take the wrong steps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 cfs

cfs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:15 AM

Hello. Sorry I have not replied yet with the Dell model my friend owns but the hunt has been long. Unfortunately, he does not own a Dell and he just had this recovery disk in with his other cd's. What do you suggest?

Thanks For The Help,

CFS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users