Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar/quicklaunch

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sunnie_007

sunnie_007

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:25 PM

On my personal computer, I noticed the Quick Launch on the taskbar had "disappeared". When attempting to replace it by right-clicking on the taskbar (to unlock), nothing happened. I am able to right click on the desktop, the start menu...anywhere else but any blank area on the taskbar.
Also - when right-clicking on the desktop, properties and then to "Display", I can no longer change the wallpaper through that method.
(Windows 2000 Professional)
Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated.
sunnie
~sunnie
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:32 PM

What application was the Quick Launch icon too?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 sunnie_007

sunnie_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:16 PM

I apologize, but I'm not sure I understand your question correctly regarding the Quick Launch toolbar located to the bottom left next to Start.
I'm fairly new to some of this and have not ever encountered this paricular "problem".
Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated!
Thanks again,
sunnie
~sunnie
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

That's OK.. I might be the thick head here :thumbsup:
you asked

I noticed the Quick Launch on the taskbar had "disappeared".

I thought you clicked on a certain Icon and it disappeared. Do you mean they are all gone? Is the clock there?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 sunnie_007

sunnie_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

Thank you - I don't feel so bad now :thumbsup:
Yes, the clock, Frisk virus scanner icon and a weather temperature icon are still "existing" in the lower right of the taskbar. I've tried dragging and dropping the "Show Desktop" icon from my desptop to tbe Quick Launch toolbar, but I get a black circle with a line drawn through it("you can't do that").
help?? :flowers:

sunnie
~sunnie

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:45 PM

I'm a bit concerned by the Weather item. I have just seen to many of these produce problems. I thinking you have a malware issue.
What Antispyware tools are installed? Are they updated? When was the last scan? Have you scanned from Safe Mode?
Also please run a SUPERAntiSpyware scan. Download free Home version,save to desktop. Open and update. Reboot into Safe Mode,perform a Complete scan. Quarantine all items found. Close the application. Reboot if needed.

Now Please post back the Log.
To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

#7 sunnie_007

sunnie_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

Thanks Boopme :thumbsup:
I had Spyware Doctor installed but recently uninstalled it, too. I have the Frisk Software F-Prot anti-virus/updater, but Microsoft has ceased to recognize this software (?). I also have Ad-aware, but this one has also ceased to update.
I have my computer set to automatically scan every day, but I had to manually start that, too, (the first day I first posted here)...which did not detect anything. Strange, I thought.
The following are the results from the Scan with SUPERantispyware.
I hope you may be able to help.
Thanks again!

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 01/30/2008 at 07:34 PM

Application Version : 3.9.1008

Core Rules Database Version : 3391
Trace Rules Database Version: 1383

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:41:08

Memory items scanned : 156
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 3992
Registry threats detected : 28
File items scanned : 27414
File threats detected : 37

Unclassified.Unknown Origin
HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{F10587E9-0E47-4CBE-84AE-7DD20B8685CC}
HKCR\CLSID\{F10587E9-0E47-4CBE-84AE-7DD20B8685CC}
HKCR\CLSID\{F10587E9-0E47-4CBE-84AE-7DD20B8685CC}
HKCR\CLSID\{F10587E9-0E47-4CBE-84AE-7DD20B8685CC}\InprocServer32
HKCR\CLSID\{F10587E9-0E47-4CBE-84AE-7DD20B8685CC}\InprocServer32#ThreadingModel
HKCR\CLSID\{F10587E9-0E47-4CBE-84AE-7DD20B8685CC}\ProgID
HKCR\CLSID\{F10587E9-0E47-4CBE-84AE-7DD20B8685CC}\Programmable
HKCR\CLSID\{F10587E9-0E47-4CBE-84AE-7DD20B8685CC}\TypeLib
HKCR\CLSID\{F10587E9-0E47-4CBE-84AE-7DD20B8685CC}\VersionIndependentProgID
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HELPER\1201225577.DLL
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{F10587E9-0E47-4CBE-84AE-7DD20B8685CC}

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@atdmt[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@apmebf[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@bluestreak[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@specificclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@adrevolver[3].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@adrevolver[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@nextag[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@richmedia.yahoo[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@trafficmp[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@fastclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@mediaplex[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@advertising[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@ads.pointroll[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@media.adrevolver[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@zedo[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@ad.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@adopt.euroclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@tacoda[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@realmedia[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@casalemedia[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\molly\Cookies\molly@ad.coupons[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\molly\Cookies\molly@adopt.specificclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\molly\Cookies\molly@ads.monster[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\molly\Cookies\molly@interclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\molly\Cookies\molly@richmedia.yahoo[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\molly\Cookies\molly@sitestat.mayoclinic[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\molly\Cookies\molly@trafstats[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\molly\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\molly@ads.realtechnetwork[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\molly\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\molly@bannerspace[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\molly\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\molly@burstnet[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\molly\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\molly@nextag[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\molly\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\molly@partner2profit[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\molly\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\molly@text.burstnet[1].txt

Trojan.DNSChanger-Codec
HKCR\CLSID\E404.e404mgr
HKCR\CLSID\E404.e404mgr#UserId

Adware.E404 Helper/Hij
HKCR\E404.e404mgr
HKCR\E404.e404mgr\CLSID
HKCR\E404.e404mgr\CurVer
HKCR\E404.e404mgr.1
HKCR\E404.e404mgr.1\CLSID
HKCR\TypeLib\{E63648F7-3933-440E-B4F6-A8584DD7B7EB}
HKCR\TypeLib\{E63648F7-3933-440E-B4F6-A8584DD7B7EB}\1.0
HKCR\TypeLib\{E63648F7-3933-440E-B4F6-A8584DD7B7EB}\1.0\0
HKCR\TypeLib\{E63648F7-3933-440E-B4F6-A8584DD7B7EB}\1.0\0\win32
HKCR\TypeLib\{E63648F7-3933-440E-B4F6-A8584DD7B7EB}\1.0\FLAGS
HKCR\TypeLib\{E63648F7-3933-440E-B4F6-A8584DD7B7EB}\1.0\HELPDIR
HKCR\Interface\{F7D09218-46D7-4D3D-9B7F-315204CD0836}
HKCR\Interface\{F7D09218-46D7-4D3D-9B7F-315204CD0836}\ProxyStubClsid
HKCR\Interface\{F7D09218-46D7-4D3D-9B7F-315204CD0836}\ProxyStubClsid32
HKCR\Interface\{F7D09218-46D7-4D3D-9B7F-315204CD0836}\TypeLib
HKCR\Interface\{F7D09218-46D7-4D3D-9B7F-315204CD0836}\TypeLib#Version

Trojan.SmitFraud Variant
C:\WINDOWS\XPUPDATE.EXE

Edited by sunnie_007, 30 January 2008 - 08:59 PM.

~sunnie

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

Hello again sunnie_007 and you're welcome I am goin to move this to the Am I infected? What do I do? till your cleaned up.

I see you have found and removed some malware. I take the taskbar is still missing.

Edited by boopme, 30 January 2008 - 09:52 PM.

#9 sunnie_007

sunnie_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

You're a kind soul :thumbsup:
..and yes, the quick launch on my taskbar is still missing - and am still unable to move icons there for shortcuts :flowers:

Thank you so much for your help with this!
~sunnie

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:29 PM

Go into your profile, example:C:\Documents and Settings\***\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\
and see if you have a folder Quick Launch.

#11 sunnie_007

sunnie_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

Yes, I do
~sunnie

#12 sunnie_007

sunnie_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:55 AM

Hi Boopme,

I wanted to post the latest that's going on with my computer - Good news!
After downloading the free version of the SUPERAntiSpyware and running it, the target problem was still needing repair...as I had posted earlier.
I decided to purchase the Full version of the SUPERAntiSpyware Professional and running the complete scan again. After the scan completed, I clicked "preferences", and then the "repairs" tab, then the "Enable System Tray" and then the button to the right "Perform Repair".
I restarted my computer and the Quick Launch was back and right clicking was enabled again bringing up the menu.
I'm not sure what the problem was, but convinced this last "scan and repair" did it :thumbsup:
Thanks again for all of your help!!
~sunnie

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:43 PM

You're welcome,very happy for you sunnie_007. Sometimes malware is just very stubborn and you need to scan over again til it dies.
Thanks for posting back. You will not be unhappy with that purchase.I have iy also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users