Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Can Be Backed Up?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

I have an external hard drive that I haven't used yet. I've been told it's a good idea to back up my system on a regular basis. Exactly what is supposed to be backed up? The hard drive is a USB connection with no CD.
Is there a special way to get my sub folders from my email over to this?

I read the article here about the Cobian backup, but I don't understand it, nor do I know if that's what I need with this hard drive.

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

Backing up, is just making a copy of your personal files (photos, documents, etc.), and saving it in another location.
It's a good idea to backup your personal files, on a regular basis.
I do it once a week, but you can do it as often as you feel is necessary.

I use Cobian, to back up my personal files.
Once it's set up, back ups are just a matter of clicking a button.

If you want to back up system files, you would need a disk imaging program, like Acronis True Image.
With that, you can image (copy) your operating system, and program files, to an external drive.
That way, if your harddrive ever crashes, you can copy the image to the new drive, which should restore all of you Operating System files, and installed program files.
Acronis can also be used to back up your personal files.

In addition to backing up your personal information to an external drive, it's a good idea to back it up to CD/DVD, also.
That way, if your external drive also dies, you won't lose your personal files.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

Wow, there's so very much to learn!
I am clueless as to all the files you mentioned,alas.
What are personal files? I'm thinking that my system files would be my copy of Windows XP?
What all is included?
I've got to read again the tut on Cobian, but I really need step by step guidance here.
Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

Personal files contain your personal information. :thumbsup:
Photos you may have put on your computer, Word documents you've created, Notepad documents, could all be considered personal files.
Things that can't be replaced, in the event of a crash.
System files (XP), and program files (games and other programs), can just be reinstalled.
Unless you have your personal stuff backed up, it's lost.

If you want to try Cobian, install it, and follow along with the tutorial.
Also, the included Help file, is pretty thorough.
If you need additional help, I, or someone else, should be able to help you get it set up.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users