Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot S+d

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:31 AM

I just ran Spybot S+D. Got the usual tracking cookies(all the Firefox). I did get one entry that has me puzzled tho. After looking here I still don't know what it is exactly.
It is called WildTangent+appears to have been in my registry.
Now I really don't know how to interpret the scan results, so I chose to "fix+immunize" all the problems.
How do I know if WildTangent is a legit Microsoft program that is supposed to be on my system, or is it possible that it is Java based from a chat room I visited? I have the option of getting it out of quarantine from Spybot(I think).

My system was down for over a month+I don't want it corrupted again. I appreciate any+all feedback.
Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:18 PM

http://www.pchell.com/support/wildtangent.shtml
Copied from above link:
What is Wild Tangent?
Wild Tangent is a video game software company specializing in online games. It has even made a partnership with AOL to include itself as part of the AOL Instant Messenger for their AIM games section. The WildTangent Web Driver is their technology that allows you to play 3D games over the Internet. Although its not technically considered spyware it does have built in components to update itself and gather information about the computer system including

* Operating System Version
* CPU Type and Speed
* Memory Amount
* Video Card type and Driver Version
* Sound Card type and Driver Version
* DirectX Version
* Location that the Web Driver was installed from

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:52 PM

So how in the world did it get in my system? Is it possible I link I clicked on for a game at another forum activated it?
As Spybot S+D is showing it's path from my registry, I don't know what to think. Is it spyware or virus?

I did put it in "quarantine" thru S+D, but is my system really clean?

#4 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

I just checked my control panel and didn't see any traces of WildTangent nor the WT driver. But....does that mean it's not still hidden in my system somewhere. I don't know where to go in Spybot S+D to find the exact path of this file location. All I know it referenced something about a registry + I certainly don't have the expertise to mess with my registry!!!!!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

It could of been on your computer since it was new. It is not "malware". If you did not find any more of the files mentioned in the link I posted above, you have nothing to be concerned about.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

Are you saying I have to run a Highjackthis log to see if WildTangent is still on my system?
Sorry, I didn't fully understand.
If I have to do so, is it run in "safe mode"?

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

Many 'brand name' computers, for example Compaq, HP, some Gateway's that came with preinstalled game packs have Wild Tangent installed. That is to insure, that you have the latest greatest version of the games. Wild Tangent isn't malware per se, but it can be misused. It has a bad rep due to it being covertly installed. You can uninstall Wild Tangent from the add/remove programs panel.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

As I stated earlier, I can not find it listed in my add/remove programs at all. Is there another place I can look on my system(without messing things up).
Also, should I not quarantine or delete this if/when it comes up in Spybot S+D?

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:57 PM

WildTangent is also bundled with some WinAmp plugins and is installed by some Internet Service providers such as Verizon and Bellsouth.

If installed on your system, you will find in located in the C:\Program Files\WildTangent folder.
Earlier versions of WildTangent's uninstaller left a large number of files in the C:\WINDOWS\wt folder.

If its not there, then it has already been removed and the registry entry your finding from Spybot S&D is probably an orphaned remnant that was left behind.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:44 PM

I am probably coming across like a real pest here, but I have to ask. How do I look for that particular file?
Do I go to start-type in WildTangent, then wait to see what comes up?
I did not perform any type of uninstall for that program.
I just want to make sure it is not going to harm my system if it is still "hiding".

Thank you
honu1

#11 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:02 PM

I just performed the steps I referenced above. 21 files were found on my system! Now I don't know what to make of all this. Some entries are shown in blue type, the rest are in black type. Is there a way for me to copy the info over to this forum for an explanation? All but 2 of the files are dated 2003, the year this make+model of my computer came out. The other 2 files are from yesterday+today.

Would someone here please be willing to take a look at the files,please? I'd be ever so grateful just for peace of mind.

Thank you
honu1

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

How do I look for that particular file?

Open Windows Explorer, go to Program Files and look for a Wild Tangent folder. Then go to Windows and look for a folder named wt. If you don't see those folders you don't have Wild Tangent installed.

If it were installed you would see these files in Msconfig and Task Manager:
DDCMan.exe
DDCActiveMenu.exe
wcmdmgrl.exe

I just want to make sure it is not going to harm my system if it is still "hiding".

Even if these files were on your system, they would not be causing any harm to your system. Wild Tangent is not malware.

21 files were found on my system

Found by what program, Spybot?

All but 2 of the files are dated 2003, the year this make+model of my computer came out.

That indicates they were probably installed when you got your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:06 PM

Yes, Spybot S+D listed WildTangent as spyware.
Now my question to you is.....when I do another Spybot scan, should I ignore WildTangent if it comes up again? I was planning on running a scan this evening, but I'll wait to hear back from you or anyone else at this forum.

Also, I put into quarantine WildTangent from last week's Spybot scan. I really don't understand what happens to things put there. Would it create any problems if I reversed the quarantine?

Thank you
honu1

#14 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:14 PM

I opened Windows Explorer, but could not find anything called program files. Explain further please?
Thank you

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

You should be able to find program files this way:

Desktop --> My Computer --> Local Disk (C:) --> Program Files

Click on this folder and look for Wild Tangent

You can find the windows folder this way:

Desktop --> My Computer --> Local Disk (C:) --> Windows

Click on this folder and look for wt

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users