Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Problem?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jpm1363

jpm1363

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:29 AM

Hello all,

I am hoping somebody can give me some direction. I am having a problem keeping my internet connection. At this point the service techs from my ISP are telling me it is a router problem..............which I am beginning to believe.

Here is the problem.........at any given time I will lose my internet connection. If I simply unplug and plug my router back in I regain connection. This router is only 6 months old. Is my only option a new router or is there something I am able to do on my own to take care of this issue?

thanks,

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

My router has been having the same problems aswell lately, is your ISP from Bellsouth? I think thier updateing thier servers over the last few days and that may be interfering with the router.

If not it may indeed be a router problem

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 28 January 2008 - 11:37 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:41 PM

No not BellSouth.................I have Time Warner(Roadrunner)

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

Oh ok, them im not to sure. Try pinging your router when you lose the connection if it doesnt respond you do have a router problem.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 28 January 2008 - 01:43 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:05 PM

Hi, jpm1363.
What is the make and model of the router? Are there any indicators on the router that there is a problem. --I had a router that would hang on occasion, and it would indicate that all LAN ports were active, regardless of a presence of a connection. Have you tried running you connection without the router, and connecting directly into your cable/dsl modem? What attempts have you tried on the router to resolve this? Does it affect other users on the router.(if there is any) If it is wireless, have you tried the connection through the LAN ports to see if it can also produced through there?

Answers to these questions will assist me, and other helpers, with your issue.
JC

#6 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:21 PM

Hello JC,

Thanks for your reply. The router is a Netgear Wireless WPN824. The message that comes up when I lose connection is that a network cable is unplugged. If I unplug an plug in it works. When I use a connection without the router it works fine.

Thanks,

Jim

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:33 PM

Just to clarify, are using the wired, or the wireless connection with this router?
What version of the WPN824 is it? It will normally list it right on the router? My old Netgear lists it on the bottom of the router after the model #.(mine is V5/different model)

Edited by Joshuacat, 28 January 2008 - 10:33 PM.

JC

#8 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:02 AM

JC,

It is V2. Sorry but I am not sure what you are asking regarding the wireless or wired connection. The router is connected to the computer in my office and there is one other computer "linked" to the router.

Sorry, as you may have already figured out, I am not too computer literate :thumbsup:

Jim

#9 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:32 AM

JC,

As far as the wired or wireless question is concerned, I don't know if this helps, however my ISP provider is Time Warner Cable. (roadrunner)

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

I would suspect that it's the modem, not the router, that needs recycling or is the problem. I'm curious as to how you honed in on the router, not the modem.

Disregard...I see that you state that your modem connects fine minus the router.

Is your connection set up to reflect the router as a residential gateway on both computers?

Do both computers exhibit this problem?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2008 - 01:54 PM.

#11 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:48 PM

Here's what we know so far...(hopefully you don't mind, I made a summary of the facts that standout to me.)

• At this point the service techs from my ISP are telling me it is a router problem..............which I am beginning to believe.
  • Netgear Wireless WPN824. It is V2. This router is only 6 months old.
  • The router is connected to the computer in my office and there is one other computer "linked" to the router.
  • When I use a connection without the router it works fine.

Ok, that's the information that will help us confirm/deny what the tech told you. I can tell you that there could be a problem with your router, but the question is.. is it displaying signs that it's defective, or is it a configuration problem? Here's what you need to tell us....

Is the other computer having the same problems?
Are you directly connected with a wire to this router?
How's the other computer connected? (wired directly with a cable, or without)
If there is no wires running between your computer and the router, then you are using the wireless connection.

And ...

Sorry, as you may have already figured out, I am not too computer literate

No problem. We'll work through this together. :thumbsup:

Reason for Edit: Spelling

Edited by Joshuacat, 29 January 2008 - 11:17 PM.

JC

#12 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for your patience JC,

The answer to your questions

Yes, the computer in my home office is directly connected to the router

The other computer is connected via a wireless adapter.

I hope this helps :thumbsup:

Thanks again,

Jim

#13 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

And the last question :thumbsup:

I believe hamluis asked...

Do both computers exhibit this problem?

I will add...at the same time?
JC

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:29 PM

Have you ever updated the firmware?, check this link at Netgear there is a firmware update for your router please follow the instructions in the second link, download the firmware, and update the router. There are several updates for your router listed, however you should only apply the last, as the updates are cumulative. Please reply with your results.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#15 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

Yes, I recently updated my firmware. This problem has been occurring since my last update........... but thanks for trying!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users