Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wep Or Wpa Security

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:17 AM

I have been using WEP security since I installed my router but it is such a pain to let others on to my network with the hexadecimal password. Also, my roommate has had connectivity issues lately with the router...not sure if this has anything to do with the security settings or if it's just a result of too may networks in my apartment complex overlapping with one another. Anyway, I don't know if switching to a different security type would resolve this...what is the difference between WEP and WPA and which one is more secure? Thanks.
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:39 PM

Anyway, I don't know if switching to a different security type would resolve this

Not likely. You are describing hardware problem. Having too many routers in the area shouldn't make any difference either. When one tries to authenticate to a router, the only one that pays attention is the one that the authorization is destined for. It could be a variety of issues causing the problem. I can park my laptop 2 feet from my router, and it sometimes it can't connect.

WPA is more secure. There are tons of web pages that can explain the difference. Try Googling for wep versus wpa.

Does your router support WPA?

#3 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

WPA is more secure from WEP, i've seen ppl using packet sniffers to get the WEP key and log on to the wireless networks and it works well.

Basicly WPA can't be cracked. at least not easily.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#4 Rittnasty

Rittnasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

Ok thanks for the advice. Sounds like WPA is the way to go. Also, I tried switching the channel that my router was using from 6 to 11 and my roommate was able to connect to the router...who knows, maybe it was just a coincidence. Anyway, thanks again.
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users