Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:39 AM
long story short....
I have Windows XP, Dell Dimension E521 system
My daughter has been running internet (im, downloading songs, pics) with McAfee turned OFF! My computer then started acting 'funny'. When I discovered that McAfee was turned off I did the following....
1. Ran McAfee.
2. McAfee discovered 4 viruses (3 were removed, 1 was write protected and couldn't be removed or quantined), plus found 12 trojan horses (of which all were removed or quantined).
3. I turned system off and rebooted.
4. It was acting really funny after the reboot. My microsoft money was unusable and my McAfee was unusable, not to mention a window kept appearing that I needed to 'reinstall Windows XP' or something to this nature. This frightened the @#$% out of me.
5. Shut system down once again.
6. Turned system on and went to McAfee to reinstall McAfee antivirus.
7. Ran McAfee antivirus again.
8. Results were ... no viruses (which puzzled me because of the 1 virus that I was unable to remove or quantine in step 2 should still be present) and no trojan horses.
9. My Microsoft Money still is not working. It says I need to use the Microsoft Money disk to operate (not really worried about this.. I can reinstall Money and use my backups).
10. I still believe that there is a 'write protected' virus on my system. It doesn't show up in the virus scan now.
Anybody have any suggestions as to the mystery 'write protected virus' that I still believe is present on my system and how to remove it?