Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Write Protected Virus? How Do I Remove?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sevenunder29

sevenunder29

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:39 AM

long story short....

I have Windows XP, Dell Dimension E521 system

My daughter has been running internet (im, downloading songs, pics) with McAfee turned OFF! My computer then started acting 'funny'. When I discovered that McAfee was turned off I did the following....

1. Ran McAfee.
2. McAfee discovered 4 viruses (3 were removed, 1 was write protected and couldn't be removed or quantined), plus found 12 trojan horses (of which all were removed or quantined).
3. I turned system off and rebooted.
4. It was acting really funny after the reboot. My microsoft money was unusable and my McAfee was unusable, not to mention a window kept appearing that I needed to 'reinstall Windows XP' or something to this nature. This frightened the @#$% out of me.
5. Shut system down once again.
6. Turned system on and went to McAfee to reinstall McAfee antivirus.
7. Ran McAfee antivirus again.
8. Results were ... no viruses (which puzzled me because of the 1 virus that I was unable to remove or quantine in step 2 should still be present) and no trojan horses.
9. My Microsoft Money still is not working. It says I need to use the Microsoft Money disk to operate (not really worried about this.. I can reinstall Money and use my backups).
10. I still believe that there is a 'write protected' virus on my system. It doesn't show up in the virus scan now.

Anybody have any suggestions as to the mystery 'write protected virus' that I still believe is present on my system and how to remove it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:53 AM

Have you tried doing your scans in "Safe Mode"? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans?

If so, get a second opinon by performing an Online Virus Scan like BitDefender.
(These require Internet Explorer to work. Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users