Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Office On Vista - Arrrrgh

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Woodsman

Woodsman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:03 AM

Having recently bought a Acer Aspire 5315-2153 running Vista Basic I am trying to install Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 which is the version I was running on my PC which was runnning XP Pro, however at the beginnning of the installation process a box appears saying that the folling file does not exist...

E:/Files/Setup/Setup.ini does not exist

I cannot therefore install office.

Is there anyway to install this version of office onto Vista or should I be trying to source another version of office which is compatible with vista? If so what version do i need and where can i find this, preferably for free!!

I am very frustrated as I simply want to open some word files on my new laptop as my old pc is down and i have some important work to do.

If you can help I would be forever in your debt!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:07 AM

It should install just fine. It sounds like your disk has a scratch in it or something, and the cd player can not read the disk.

If you have no other options at the moment, you could try using Open Office, which can handle Word 2003 documents with no problem. And it is free, so you will not be out anything.
http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

#3 Woodsman

Woodsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

I'm afraid that the disk is as clean as a whistle,... It hasn't been out of it's packet since I installed it on my PC. It has all the files on it, but is still refusing to install.
I'm giving the OPen Office a whirl,... tried it before via a different route, but it wanted me to send text messages to get an activation code,... but I don't have a mobile phone.

Thanks for your advice.

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:32 AM

That is odd. I also have an Acer 5315 that I got at Walmart on sale. I had no problem installing Office 2003.

Sometimes you can open the setup file by opening Windows Explorer and double-clicking on Setup. There may be a couple of setup files, like setup.ini and setup.exe. You want the setup.exe.

Give it a try. I hope this helps.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users