Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Damaged...unable To Repair Or Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 czmom3

czmom3

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:09 AM

I am having some strange things going on...It started with the inability to update my McAffee and AIM. Neither would allow me to do so on my daughter's name, but I could do the AIM on mine. But now, I can't install either. I have tried to update IE6 and install IE 7, but am unable to do that either. When I check what version I have running of IE, it is blank. it isn't in my add/remove programs. I thought i would just uninstall and try again... I also have Mozillla running on the computer and it isn't 100%, but I thougth we'd start with the IE for now.
I did post a malware issue on another forum and used Hijack this and combo fix and probably other programs and was told the computer is clean.

The computer is running windows xp home edition version 2002 with Service Pack 2.

Can you help???

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:40 AM

The computer is running windows xp home edition version 2002 with Service Pack 2.

I had problems installing McAfee updates so I switched to AVG Free Edition it works a lot better than McAfee. It found a virus that McAfee couldn't. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:48 AM

It seems likely that an infection could be causing these problems.
I would suggest that you post over in the "Am I Infected" forums located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 sanjay213

sanjay213

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:53 AM

thanks for the info. Good combo is AVG with Zone alarm fire wall :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users