Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Curser Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_com28

Chris_com28

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:28 AM

When I type my curser keeps jumping to different locations. I'll be typing out my homework and all of a sudden my curser has jumped up to a few sentances. It's a realy pain as I'm doing a lot more work on my laptop now as I'm doing a web design course. This makes my HTML work a lot harder.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

Does your laptop have a Synaptic touch pad? Is it possible that you are accidentally 'bumping' it while you type? I have the same problem if I don't pay enough attention to what I am doing. I am assuming that the cursor jumps to the point on the screen where the mouse cursor is located?

#3 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

We bought a used Dell laptop with a touchpad and it also has a feature in the middle of the keys called a "mouse stick." If the laptop is lifted without completely even support on the bottom, or if you put pressure on the laptop, the mouse cursor will fly off and it usually requires at least one reboot to get it back under control. Sometimes it does this even without any pressure on the laptop. It is very frustrating.

No one has been able to give me an answer to why this happens, or a solution to fix it. I have found that disabling the mouse stick and touchpad features completely helps the problem. But that makes it so I have to use a plugin mouse, and when that fails I have to use the keyboard alone to re-enable the mouse stick or touchpad to fix that problem, and then I'm back at square 1 with the possessed pointer.

I think one person did suggest completely disabling the mouse stick and/or touchpad at the hardware level. In theory, that should fix the problem, but then you will be stuck using a plugin mouse with the laptop.

I hope your problem is more like what groovicus said, because that is much easier to fix. haha! The fact that it just jumps a few lines instead of keep going forever seems to imply that the touchpad is just being brushed. I have done that many times!

Good luck.
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

I used to suffer from the same thing. Annoying.
It was due to the touchpad being hit just enough to move the cursor to the least expected location.
In the computer Help screens and the pdf manual I found a key combination which is a toggle. So I can disable the touchpad until needed. On my computer it's Function+F9, but every computer is different.

#5 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:34 PM

I'm sure I'm not brushing it. I've been very careful since I had that problem. I think it's most likely pressure being exerted onto the pad as I rest my hands on the keypad. I think I read about that before. I guess I'll have to disable the touchpad. I think just a simple proccess delete could do it. That way if you have a problem with your plug in mouse you could just restart the computer. Maybe it could be made even shorter with a macro. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll try and removing or disabling the touch pad settings and see how it goes.

#6 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:10 AM

I've disabled my toucpad and haven't had any problem since. Thanks for the advice. I've only got one more request about this. Is there a way to set some kind of shortcut, like a macro? Sometimes my mouse fails and so I can't do anything with my computer but reset it.

#7 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

Hey, Chris. I had that same issue. I didn't have a solution for a long time, and it really discouraged me from using my laptop except for emergencies.

Just recently, however, I figured something out that usually fixes the problem, even enough that I keep my touchpad enabled. I was almost embarrassed that I hadn't thought of it sooner.

What I do is go to Control Panel and open the Mouse settings. Then, on the Device Settings tab I have a Reset Device button. Activating that button almost always resets the mouse pointer and it starts working correctly again. On the rare occasions that it doesn't work right away, it usually works after waiting a while.

I don't know if your mouse settings interface has the reset device option. If so, you can access it fairly easily with keyboard keys alone. You can also set up a shortcut somewhere to make it even easier to access (I put a shortcut right on my main Start menu).

In case you don't know, you can toggle between open windows/applications by holding the Alt key and then pushing the Tab key to select the window you want. Using this, if your mouse pointer freezes up or starts misbehaving, you can easily switch to the open mouse settings window and activate the reset button to regain control! (Use the Tab and arrow keys to cycle through the various tabs, links and buttons--this works in browser windows as well.)

Again, this solution may totally depend on whether your own mouse settings has a handy reset option. My mouse software was provided by Dell, the maker of my laptop. There may be other compatible apps out there that will work if your current settings don't have the needed function.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any other questions you have. I am happy to help any way I can. :flowers::thumbsup:

Take care, Chris.
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

You might consult the owners manual. It's possible a function key combination will turn it on and off
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users