Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Brave Sentry Steal My Personal Files/ssn#'s Ect.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1930stech

1930stech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:20 AM

Friends,

My wife clicked purchase, during a Brave Sentry attack, while I was away on business.
I looked at the bank account and they did debit $32.00 for the purchase and I see
the useless BS 2.0 is now running. I know you have a solution and will apply it as soon
as I can.

BUT more importlantly,

Did they steal my personal files and information .

Do they have my entire hardrive?

Am I in deep dodo? or is this merely an annoyance and a $32.00 lesson for my wife about scams?

How deep of trouble am I in.

Do you have long term knowledge of post attack victims and idently theft following at Brave Sentry Attack?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:41 AM

Hello,

The simple answer to your question is possibly.

While it is a serious breach of security, you could be fine or you could be in trouble. Either way, I would advise you to change your passwords and security questions and as much personal information that you can change. Take a look at statements of your finances and make a note of any questionable activity and talk to your bank and explain the situation.
To prevent similar problems in the future, I would assess the security setup and protection methods on the system and make changes based on the findings.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:50 AM

Brave Sentry is related to a Smitfraud infection. SmitFraud is a generic description for a family of rogue applications/trojans such as Win32.Zlob that uses misleading advertising, downloads rogue security products, changes (hijacks) the Windows Desktop and drops additional malware infected files. Some variants of smitfraud may even drop a rootkit. The Trojan uses bogus security warnings and fake alerts to indicate that your computer is infected with spyware or has critical errors. SmitFraud is responsible for downloading and installing programs that purport to scan for spyware and then uses false scan reports as a scare tactic to goad you into purchasing one of several rogue programs to fix it.

Depending on what other specific files are dropped, your system could become compromised. Brave Sentry usually drops the Troj/Brave-A Trojan (xpupdate.exe).

Troj/Brave-A includes functionality to access the internet and communicate with a remote server via HTTP.

frsirt.com

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, the safest thing is to notify your banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. All passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users