Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stryke297

stryke297

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:29 PM

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the firs time you've seen this Stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure an new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installe hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to sue Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: OXOOOOOOED (OX86F2B868, 0XC0000185, 0X00000000, 0X000000)

Diagnostic lights (Dell) A(green) B(green) C(green) D(green)

If a solution can be found to this problem that won't require reformatting the HDD that would be great! I haven't used this HDD in years and I'm very curious as to what is on it.

Edited by stryke297, 27 January 2008 - 11:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:00 AM

Perhaps this article on the Microsoft database will help you:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185&sd=RMVP

It is most probably due to the cause of the file system damage. So, use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume.

Here's how:

Start your computer by using the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows installation disk if your computer can start from the CD drive.
2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do this. (Note If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.)
5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

If this procedure does not work, repeat it and use the fixboot command in step 5 instead of the chkdsk /r command.

Regards :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:46 AM

Here's a link to a description of the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0xed

I'd suggest downloading a free, bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive (to check the physical structure of the disk).

These problems usually come in 3 flavors:
- bad hard drive
- bad file system
- bad boot sector

The steps above will help to rule these out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:03 PM

Might not have anything to do with it, but if it's been out of commission for a few years i'd replace the motherboard battery
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

Actually I did get an error "Alert! System Battery Low" But I figured it still had some juice left.

#6 JPeterman

JPeterman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

If you got that system battery low warning, regardless of if that fixes your problem or not, you need to replace the battery.

#7 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:27 PM

I've tried three different batteries(none new but I wasn't receiving that message on the computers I stole them from) and I get the same message except now it tells me the clock is wrong.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

A new battery costs less than $5 and is available at any store selling photo/watch batteries. Model: CR 2032.

Louis

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:42 AM

Did you reset the time and date in the BIOS?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users