So anyways, after my many, many trials...and failures with this OS, I've decided to revert back to XP. And yes, I know that voids my warranty, blah blah. I just have a couple of questions.
Computer: HP Pavilion dv6327 cl Entertainment Notebook PC
1. If I go back and install XP over Vista, will I still be able to use/get the drivers for the extra features on my laptop, say...HP Quickplay? Since I have special buttons on the keyboard just for these features (for DVD playback, volume control, etc.) and I would like to continue to use them, is there any way I could transfer this over to XP?
2. Since I have internal wireless, will I have to go through the wireless wizard to pick my router's signal back up? It's unsecured, by the way, so no codes to input. (Yes, I know I should secure it.)
3. Okay, if I can't have Quickplay, what about certain programs that came preinstalled, like Roxio? Would I just have to find a freeware version? And speaking of freeware, what would be the best freeware AV/firewall/AS, etc? Right now I just have ZoneAlarm firewall and AVG Anti-virus/anit-spyware.
4. So I'm getting ready to reinstall, how do I tell what kind of HD I have? I looked under the battery and didn't see anything. Would looking in Device Manager work? I saw something called the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and most of the things under it were labeled IDE except the NVidia nForce SATA controller. Isn't that my graphics/video card? Does that mean I have to slipstream the XP disc or not?
5. And one more stupid question. I was having a lot of trouble earlier with BSOD. Refer here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/123810/bsod-on-sdsleephibernate/
I tried all the hotfixes mentioned. Some of them came up as non-compatible, but I found others that were. Unfortunately, none of them really solved my problems....So I'm wondering if my real problem is the BIOS instead of Vista. I had flashed the BIOS earlier with a 'critical update for all HP notebooks' but I hadn't done any of the things it told me not to while it was in progress and it restarted normally......So would it just be better if I go back to XP? Would that fix my problem?
Actually, that's the most important question. Can somebody please help me with this? My laptop's really having issues and I'd just like to be able to use it without having to worry about one thing or the other...