Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Need Previous .net Framework Versions?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

Sorry, this has been asked a billion times already. I read the topics from the search engine, but the answer were somewhat ambiguous to me :thumbsup:
I have .NET Framework Service Packs for 2.0 and 3.0, so that must mean I also have the 2.0 and 3.0 Framework. Do I need both, or does Framework 3.0 cover the features of 2.0? I have Paint.NET which requires Framework 2.0, so if I uninstall 2.0, will 3.0 still keep it running?
Thanks!
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:00 AM

Hello,

While it is entirely possible that the framework 3.0 will contain all the features of the previous 2 versions, it is most likely that removing them will result in problems for the system. Granted the files are massive, but to create space on a system removing updates and system files should be at the very bottom or not on the list at all.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

It's my understanding that .NET versions are not cumulative (that is, .NET 3.0 won't take care of .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 functions).

That being said, it'd be interesting to see what would happen if you did uninstall them and then try to install Paint.NET - as you've said, the Google results are a bit ambiguous.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:33 PM

Daaaang it. Guess I can't get rid of those enormous service packs >_<

Going on returnil to uninstall. Seeing if Paint.NET will still work. Posting results later...

Is the 3.5 Redistributable Package/Regular Framework cumulative? Below is the description I got from Microsoft.

The Microsoft® .NET Compact Framework 3.5 Redistributable contains the common language runtime and class libraries built for the .NET Compact Framework. In addition to version 3.5 support, it also supports applications developed for version 1.0 and 2.0. The .NET Compact Framework 3.5 provides new features such as Windows Communication Foundation, LINQ, SoundPlayer, new runtime tool support, and many other features.

In addition to version 3.5 support, it also supports applications developed for version 1.0 and 2.0.

Does that mean that it has previous support? If my English interpretation is correct, it seems to say so.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

I just read up on all the version 1 and version 2 stuff, john is correct

I suspect with 3.5 they are trying to fix the mess all this created before it gets too far out of hand, and put some final tweaks in previous versions of net
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:56 AM

I want to ask this but I may be asked to create a seperate topic. But here goes.

I have no .NET framework but I would love to use things that require it.
The main thing I want requires .NET framework 2.0 (paint.NET)

Will I need the earlier framework?

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:10 AM

No, you only need what the application requires (for Paint.NET it's v2.0).

I don't think that .NET 3.5 will do away with the need for other versions because of this quote from the download page:

Brief Description
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1.

Since it includes .NET 2.0 SP1, that seems to indicate that it'll still be needed (as long as you have apps that require it).

Here's the link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Interestingly enough, .NET isn't listed in my Programs and Features applet in Control Panel (the replacement for Add/Remove Programs in Vista). .NET 3.0 is listed under the Windows Features - but I couldn't find any trace of .NET 1.1 or .NET 2.0.

This KB article ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785 ) pointed me to locating them (buried in the %systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework folder) and I found that I've got all of them on my 64 bit version of Vista
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:34 AM

Thank you usasma :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#9 skyfuser

skyfuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

This is overdue for a very very very very long time ;D
Anyways I just installed .NET 3.5 Framework, and Paint.NET works perfectly fine. Apparently 3.5 also installs service packs for 2.0 and 3.0.
So I'm thinking 3.5 includes the previous .NET frameworks and you wouldn't need to install each individually :thumbsup:

Edited by skyfuser, 11 April 2008 - 06:46 PM.

#10 wshorten

wshorten

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

I believe this will be of some help to everyone on this topic: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/bb822049.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users