Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Product Key?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

I got a computer from someone with windows XP pro. When I started it up it said my copy of windows xp pro needed to be activated, The sticker that has the product key isnt anywhere on the computer tower like it should be and I'm really not sure what the brand of computer it might be, I think it might have been a build. I went into safe mode and ran the program SIW to get the product key....then when I went to register, The person on the phone told me to click "change product key" and enter my product key. when i entered it and clicked update it went back to the first page, and the number it had listed there was wrong. They told me that my product key was invalid, and that if i could not find the product key, i would have to call the manufacturer and request a new one...I dont know the manufacturer, or if there even is one. Also, when i try to click "change product key" in the registration window, and type in my product key, it now says the key is invalid, and wont work at all. anyone have any idea whats going on? I double, and triple checked to make sure I copied it down right...if its in the computer system how in the world can it be wrong????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

I got a computer from someone with windows XP pro. When I started it up it said my copy of windows xp pro needed to be activated, The sticker that has the product key isnt anywhere on the computer tower like it should be and I'm really not sure what the brand of computer it might be, I think it might have been a build.

This makes me suspicious that you do not have a valid copy of XP. It may have been an imaged copy of the OS and you are looking at another product key already in use. If you purchased this computer, I would go back and get, or demand the holgrammed copy of a legitimate product key.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:16 AM

Thats the thing though, I didnt purchase this computer it was given to me. I used to work for a company and when they got their new computers, they put all the old ones in the office on the floor. I noticed them sitting there, and asked what was going to happen to them. They said they were going to get rid of them, and i asked to who and they said they hadnt decided. I got lucky and i ended up actually getting 3. one was a emachine with windows 98, and 2 identical inside and out computers, both with windows xp professional. I thought the windows 98 was going to be the good one and the other 2 would be just garabage or used for parts, because the towers are old and white and boxy. I was wrong. One was already activated and the other isnt. Ive opened them up and taken parts out and put them back and everything is the same. Thats why i think they may be builds. I can take pictures if you want, of the insides of them, and the hard drives. I already contacted the person who gave them to me and she didnt know much about them, she said she would have to call the people who got the computers for the company and she never got back to me.

#4 splify

splify

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:58 AM

The origins of your computer software sound dubious to me.
The sticker should be on the case, if it isn't anywhere inside or outside then someone must of taken the stickers off to use on another build system.

either way if you got those PCs from the office and they have a Windows Home edition like you are describing (the need to reactivate) then something is defiantly odd here.

Would suggest you format them and purchase legitimate software for them both, or just run Linux.

#5 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:50 AM

There are so many different types of linux, which is the right one (or best one) to go for? I tried searching but I couldnt really find a link to a download. That and the list was just huge.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:56 AM

There are so many different types of linux, which is the right one (or best one) to go for? I tried searching but I couldnt really find a link to a download. That and the list was just huge.

Ubuntu is user-friendly and easy to learn https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:08 AM

You could try Suse Linux.

I have seen my cousin use it. It looks great.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

The best Linux is the one that you like the most. Since it's free, try a bunch of them. Quite a few will allow you to download a "Live" CD so you can try it out without installing it. Once you settle upon one, download and install it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:53 PM

companies often use the VLK(volumeliscensekey) of xp pro corporate

those computers aren't supposed to be sold with the OS, that's leased/whatever

you can't register them or activate/validate them?

the company does that all thru their IT manager and the server?
or a seperate company that supplies the computers

I expect to see a lot more of this as time goes on.

my best guess

Edited by DaChew, 12 February 2008 - 07:55 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:18 PM

Well, I tried to download a couple of different linux programs...unfortunatly after about 2 minutes of downloading they said download complete.. (which I find highly unlikely since I have dial up and they were 700 MB+) I also tried downloading using the program called flashget but the downloads wouldnt start.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:28 AM

linux is not user friendly and requires a lot of advanced skills

here's a good example of where someone got the bug to try Linux

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=80583

the quote from my fellow mod anony refers to me, chewy

anony is a very smart premed student

I an old dumb wookie

I pretty well kept up for 100 or so posts for the first month or two

Edited by DaChew, 14 February 2008 - 12:29 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users