Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashin

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 goldenchild

goldenchild

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:29 PM

I have a Dell computer which I purchased around three years ago. It's had it's up and downs but recently it seems like there are many downs. I knoe have a computer is a lot of work but gush this is giving me a headache. I have limewire on my system and I guess that already is a issue but I don't believe its the root to all the problems my computer is facing. I recently purchased an external hard drive and it wasn't what I expected. I though purchasing it would give me space on my computer and allow my system to move faster. I was informed by someone from bleepingcomputer.com that I should have bought memory. I should have asked before i made a $80 purchase. Anyway I did all I think I can to clean up my computer but i'm sill encountering issues. My system is running Microsoft XP Home Edition 2002 Version. Its a Dell DIMENSION DIM3000. PENTIUM® 4 CPU 2.80GHZ 2.79GHz, 256 MB OF RAM. FILE SYSTEM: NTFS. FREE SPACE: 20.7 GB TOTAL SIZE: 71.4GB.
What can I do to make improvements on my computer? Where do I go from here? When I'm on the net I continousely get a pop up box saying that my virtual memory is too small. When I turn on my computer it says that my Virtual Memory is too small or there is none and i should try to change or increase it. If i'm online for a whle i'm able to use the net and then my page will just close up. If i have many tabs open it will definately close, I can't go to any chat rooms or play any online games.

Someone please give me some advice on what I should do next. Thank you in advance. Bleepingcomputer has always been a helping hand.
Golden Lucks "Gifted and Talented"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

Hello,

The error you are seeing means that there is not enough space in the 256MB of RAM so it is asking you to create a space on the hard drive that can be used to help the load. To do this you need to go to right click my computer and select properties, when the window appears navigate to the advance tab then click settings under performance on the next window click advanced then click change. This will then give you the options for a minimum and a maximum value. The value can be usually anything from 2-4096 however for your case you will probably need 512MB.

If you want to upgrade the system then we need to do some research on each component.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 goldenchild

goldenchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:04 PM

Are you suggesting that I upgrade my memory and if so is this what i need DELL
512 MB Module for a Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop System?
Golden Lucks "Gifted and Talented"

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:26 AM

You would get a lot better performance if you add more memory. That Dell has two memory slots which will take a maximum of 1GB in each slot. If you have just the one 256MB module you can add another 512MB in the other slot for about $33. at Crucial. This would make the computer a lot faster. If you don't know if you only have the one 256MB or two 128MB modules you can download SIW, just click on memory and it will show what you have in each slot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

Definitely more memory. Here is Crucial.com's suggestion. No matter where you buy your memory, pay attention to Crucial's footnote:

"If you receive a "Memory available limited to 256MB!" message after installing more than 256MB, enter BIOS and turn OS Install to OFF. Exit saving changes."
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 28 January 2008 - 02:25 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users