no sooner than I posted I found the solution (finally!! after hours!!) THAT WORKED!! From the Trend Micro site:
Uninstall PC-cillin Internet Security 14 using the PCCTool.exe file
1. Close the PC-cillin Internet Security main console if it is open.
2. Double-click My Computer on your Desktop.
3. Double-click Local Disk.
4. Go to the C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 14 folder
5. Double-click the PCCTool.exe file
6. Click the [E] Uninstall tab.
7. Under Install and Uninstall, click 4. Uninstall.
8. When the confirmation message appears, click Uninstall then wait for the uninstallation to finish.
9. A message appears when the uninstallation is complete. Click Yes to restart your computer.
So, HOURS LATER and NO THANKS TO DELL - I have my new internet security software installed. Huzzah!