Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender History Tab Win Xp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 itisgood

itisgood

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

I've been searching for this answer on and off for a couple of days and decided the quickest way would be to simply ask.

When I select the History Tab, 10 programs/actions come up in the window. They are all 'unknown' and have been 'permitted' to run.

Seven of those are from Jan 23 and three are from Jan 22.

The 7 from the 23rd are

iemain:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\\Start Page

iemain:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\\Default_Search_URL

iemain:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\\Search Page

ieabout:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs\\NavigationCanceled

iemain:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\\Default_Page_URL

ieabout:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs\\DesktopItemNavigationFailure

ieabout:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs\\NavigationFailure

From Jan 22

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\srescan.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\vsdatant.sys

I've look around and came to the conclusion that the ones from January 22 are from the Zonealarm Firewall that I installed.

I installed IE 7 on Jan 23 and I believe thats what the above files deal with.

I run AVG free, Spybot SD, Windows Defender and a Zonealarm firewall. All are up to date and find nothing on my system. My XP has the current updates as well.

I am just curious to see if others have ran into this and what it means exactly.

I have no 'symptoms' of being infected with anything and am cautious when surfing.

All replies are appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

All those are legit entries and I don't think Windows Defender would have asked you about them. There are some changes that certain programs are allowed to perform depending on your settings. IE7 and ZA are probably trusted programs, I don't use windows defender often.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users