Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet/firewall Disabled On Startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spearmint

spearmint

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

When I start the computer, about half of the processes load immediately, including winlogon.exe and svchost.exe -k netsvcs which utilize dmocxn.dll. After 3 to 5 min. the firewall is disabled and the rest of the processes are loaded.

I suspect dmocxn.dll as the problem since it does not return google results. Additionally a service titled "xubzgrdt" is loaded under the svchost.exe - k netsvcs process pointing to dmocxn.dll as the servicedll in the registry.

As seen in the HJT log, dmocxn.dll is also used in the winlogon.exe process and points to a Internet Explorer addon which I have disabled.

I cannot manually delete dmocxn.dll and when I use HJT to delete on reboot, it either does not delete or replaces itself on startup.

Additionally, deleting the registry entries where dmocxn.dll is specified only causing them to reappear on reboot.

When I disable the xubzgrdt service in Control Panel/Administer Tools/Services, it reverts to automatically loaded and sometimes changes the description.

I suspect some process or file is resetting these services, but i cannot detect any strange processes besides those described.

When I try to manually restart the Windows Firewall, it gives me "Error 2001: The specified driver is invalid."

My network connection does not have an IP address and Windows give an error when trying to repair the connection that it cannot query the TCP/IP settings.

Because the computer cannot connect to the internet, I am using a second computer to post this.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm at the end of my methods.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:37:45 PM, on 1/27/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {01F65BE4-7740-462B-8036-B9A17B47D87A} - c:\windows\system32\dmocxn.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1131932669999
O20 - Winlogon Notify: bbvnoetp - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dmocxn.dll
O23 - Service: HP Port Resolver - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\HPBPRO.EXE
O23 - Service: HP Status Server - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\HPBOID.EXE
O23 - Service: Sophos Anti-Virus status reporter (SAVAdminService) - Sophos Plc - C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\SAVAdminService.exe
O23 - Service: Sophos Anti-Virus (SAVService) - Sophos Plc - C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\SavService.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
O23 - Service: Sophos Agent - Sophos Plc - C:\Program Files\Sophos\Remote Management System\ManagementAgentNT.exe
O23 - Service: Sophos AutoUpdate Service - Sophos Plc - C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\ALsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Sophos Message Router - Sophos Plc - C:\Program Files\Sophos\Remote Management System\RouterNT.exe

--
End of file - 2606 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RichieUK

RichieUK

Malware Assassin

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:14 AM

Welcome to the BleepingComputer HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.
My name is Richie and i'll be helping you to fix your problems.

Apologies for the late response,as i'm sure you can appreciate we are extremely busy.

If you've already recieved help at another forum and your issues have been resolved,or you're presently recieving help elsewhere then please let us know.

If you have not followed the info in the link below prior to posting your log then please do so now:
Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

If you still require help,please post a new Hijackthis log into this topic in your next reply.

Also post a detailed description of the issues you're experiencing.

*Note*
Post all reports/logs directly into this topic,not as attachments,thanks.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 spearmint

spearmint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:03 PM

Hey Richie,

Thanks for replying. I haven't booted up that computer since posting so the HJT log remains the same. Also in case you're wondering, there is no anti-virus software in the process list because I've disabled it after scanning to try to simplify the problem while debugging (or de-malwaring).

The description in the previous post is pretty much all I know. Let me know if you need any additional information.

#4 RichieUK

RichieUK

Malware Assassin

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 06:54 PM

If you have previously downloaded ComboFix,please delete that version now.
Warning
You should NOT use Combofix unless you have been instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert.
It is intended by its creator to be used under the guidance and supervision of an expert,NOT for private use.
Using this tool incorrectly could render your system/pc inoperable.

Now download Combofix by sUBs and save to your desktop.
Alternative Combofix download link HERE.
Note
It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop

Close any open browsers.
Double click on combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
When it's finished it will produce a log.
Post the entire contents of C:\ComboFix.txt into your next reply.
Note
Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running.
That may cause the program to freeze/hang.

Do NOT post the ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt unless I ask.
Note
In case your Antivirus or any other realtime scanner is displaying an alert after you downloaded Combofix or while you use Combofix,please disable your scanner and redownload Combofix again.
Some scanners may see some combofix related components as suspicious and block or delete them while there's nothing wrong with them.

Also post a new Hijackthis log please.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users