Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 neonick

neonick

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

My brother powered down his laptop one night and when he went to boot it the next morning, the screen didn't turn on and the computer tries to boot, but it doesn't. All of the lights come on except for the hard drive light. Any suggestions?

EDIT: He just now powered on the computer, and he got the option to choose Safe mode, last known good configuration, etc, etc. After that, the screen went black and now it is doing it all over again.

Edited by neonick, 27 January 2008 - 01:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:24 PM

Well I got a suggestion that it was the hard drive that could be bad so we switched that out with a new one and the same thing happened (black screen and no HD light).

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

What model laptop (manufacturer and model number)?

Does the black screen have the cursor up in the left hand corner?

Can he get into Setup/BIOS?

Does he have an XP CD? If so, can he go to the Recovery Console on the XP CD and run chkdsk /r?

Louis

#4 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

It is a HP Pavillion DV9010 and as far as I know, nothing shows up on the screen when a hard drive is installed, but it says "Operating System not found" when there is no hard drive in it. Recovery CD doesn't do anything and he can't access the BIOS.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

Well...the hard drive must be installed if the system is to have any chance at all of booting.

Operating system, etc...is the appropriate response when the hard drive is absent or cannot be detected.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2008 - 08:58 PM.

#6 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:40 PM

I know, but it is really odd that nothing will show up when there is a hard drive installed but something WILL show up when there's no hard drive. We even tried another hard drive and it didn't work. There was that one time where he booted it up and got to the screen where you choose what to load (last known good configuration, safe mode, etc, etc) and it blacked out shortly after that.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

Had a very strange issue today with a 5 day old HP Proliant server. It wouldn't boot up (this was a working server) and gave the "No operating system found" error - so I called HP tech support. Surprisingly, after a significant time on hold, a nice gentleman (with an accent) helped me to troubleshoot it and pointed out the following:

Turns out that, at least on this model, the mobo will decide that it wants to boot from the USB devices and will disregard the hard drive. I unpugged the USB devices (2 drives) and the server booted with no problems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

Well...the hard must be installed if the system is to have any chance at all of booting.

The computer Can't load windows but it can boot to the bios POST screen without a HDD. Or Should anyways.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:02 PM

Everything was unplugged from the laptop. Today when he booted it up, it gave 4 short beeps (first time EVER that it did this) and I googled it and if he has an AMI MB (I don't know what kind he has) then it is a bad mother board due to 'timer not operational.' I'd have to find out what kind of motherboard he has. Again, this was the first time ever that we heard the 4 beeps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users