Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total Reinstall for Windoews XP?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 06:22 PM

Hi,

I have instructions from About.com for reinstalling Windows XP from the CD.
Their instructions are actually pretty good, simple enough and complete enough for the most part. However, they don't seem to be for Windows XP Professional. They seem to be for Windows XP Home. And there seems to be one step to do with XP Home that I'm not sure how to do with XP Professional. Let me explain.
To reinstall Windows XP I understand to start with booting from the Windows XP (Professional) CD. At the 'Welcome to Setup' screen, press Enter. The R (repair) option takes you to the Recovery Module, which is useful if Windows won't boot, but it's no help with a reinstallation(which is what I'm attempting to do). Soon you'll be told that there's already a Windows installation on the computer. Press r for a repair reinstall or Esc to begin a complete, distructive one (which is what I'll be doing). For a complete restore, (then after pressing Esc (my insertion)) select your C: partition and press Enter. When you get the worning that
an operating system is on that partition, press c. When you are asked your partition preference, select "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)".
When you're told that a Windows folder already exists, press l ('ell') to delete it
and creat a new one. Follow the series of prompts. When the installation program
ask for your name, enter "temp". (I take it that I'll be setting up a temporary account because my present accounts will be wipped out in the reinstallation. If yo want to afferm that that would be fine.)
Once the installation is complete, your system will reboot into Windows, and you'll be logged on as user Temp. If the screen is diffecult to read, reinstall your graphics card driver. (Now if someone could explain to me how to reinstall a graphics card I'd appreciate that just in case I'll need to do that).
Reopen Windows Explorer. Select your C: drive (I take it that they mean go
to programs through run here). Right click in the right pain and select New, Folder. (Just select a New folder). Name the new folder oldstuff. In the left pain,
choose the Documents and Settings folder. It should have subfolders for each user from the previous install, plus one for Temp (that I just put in I take it) and a few others. Move the folders for your previous user names to oldstuff.
(This is where I throw up the flags and call penalty on play. This is where I assume he's talking about XP Home because XP Professional does not have any user names here. I am the only one using this computer but not even my name is here. There are two regular folders here, 'all users' and 'd'. And there are three hidden folders here, 'default user', 'LocalService' and 'NetworkService'. Nothing else what so ever. So I do not know what folders I should be moving to 'oldstuff' -
'all users', 'd' and (hidden folder) 'default user'? Anyone that can enlighten me as to what I should be doing at this point I'd really greatly appreciate it. Thanks and read on if you need a little more info to figure out how to answer my questions.).
Select Start, Control Panel, User Accounts. Create an account for each user who was registered before the reinstall. Be sure to use the exact names. They are the same names as the folders you just moved to 'oldstuff'. (That would just be me, but there are going to be no folders there with my name on them!!!??? So this come to the exact same question that I just asked, what folders would go into 'oldstuff'?). In Windows XP at least one user must have administrative privileges. (That would be me).
Log off and back on as each user (that would be just me), before logging back on as Temp. Make sure you select Log Off and not Switch Users at Windows XP's
Log Off dial box.
Log on as Temp, select start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt, type xcopy c:\oldstuff\*.*"c:\documents and settings"/s/h/r/c, and press enter.
Press a when asked if you want to overwrite a file. Log off Tempand log on to each restored account to make sure everyone's documents are where they belong. Log on as an administator and run Control Panel's User Accounts applet again to remove the user Temp.
(Of course I understand this last paragraph to be the command to put the user files back in the same contexts as they were before the reinstall. Only it comes to the same question, there wont be anything in oldstuff for me with Windows XP Professioal because there is nothing under Applications and Settings now for me to put in oldstuff, no??? So same question. If someone can clearify this for me, please!!!)
Now you have Windows going but not much else. You may have to reinstall your printer, sound card, and so on. You'll have to reinstall your applications to reintroduce them to Windows. Some of their settings will not be affected by the reinstall, but those that were stored in the Registry were wiped out.
Once your Internet connection is running again browse to Windows Updates and download all critical updates for your version. Then visit the sites of your hardware vendors to update your drivers.
Ect. That's about it.
So hopefully someone with some familiarity in total reinstallation can help me out here, I hope!!! The question(s) as stated throughout the text.
I was given the suggestion by my ISP to get this done before they upgrades my DSL to the next quickest DSL speed which will be in a couple of days to three. So whom ever would know what to do here asap would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sincerely,

John :thumbsup:

PS Please forgive any spelling errors. I can't access through some links on pages
because I need to reinstall MS's Internet Explorer to get that to work again properly. ie., I need to do this reinstall to get things to work properly.

Edited by Johnz414, 06 March 2005 - 06:30 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:07 PM

Hi Johnz, I would recommend using this tutorial from Black Viper about installing XP Pro instead of that one from About.

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Inst...stallxppro1.htm

Windows will install all of your drivers when you do the install and through windows update, but after you are done with windows update you should check in device manager to make sure that all of them have been installed correctly. To get to device manager go to Start --> My Computer and then right click on an open space, select Properties --> the Hardware tab --> Device manager.

If you are missing any drivers, they will show as a question mark or exclamation point. Right click on the device in question and choose update driver and that should install the proper driver.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 psb

psb

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:53 PM

I too like the tutorial from Black Viper
But;
Here is another step by step tutorial Option
Windows XP Clean Install (Interactive Setup)

It will tell you when WinXP Pro has a different issue too
For example
In Windows XP Professional only, you will be able to select a workgroup or domain name next. Home Edition doesn't work with Windows domains, however, and Setup will automatically supply the workgroup name MSHOME, which you can change later. The default workgroup name in XP Pro is, imaginatively, WORKGROUP. I recommend changing this to your own choice

Edited by psb, 06 March 2005 - 07:54 PM.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:15 PM

John, the procedure you've mentioned for installation seems to be one for restoring previous user accounts. If you are doing a completely clean install and have no such accounts, that's not something you'll need to do.

However, for your edification, select means to left click once on something, and has nothing to do with Start, Run, etc. And re-opening Windows Explorer refers to what you get if you click the Windows key (between the control and alt keys) at the same time as the E key. You get two panes (think windowpanes) and the one on the left has what is referred to as a "tree." Near the top of the tree you'll see the C: drive. Select that, and all the folders in the C: drive will appear in the right pane.

Remember, if you're performing a clean install, you will lose everything on your computer. This includes your favorites, your cookies and so on, as well as all the stuff you've been saving. I trust you have it backed up. You can export cookies using Internet Explorer's export feature, or in Firefox you can go to the Bookmarks folder and open the Bookmark Manager - from the File menu, you can export your bookmarks, either to a folder you intend to copy to CD for backup, or you can export them to a floppy disk, so that you can load them back in again.

When you install, you will need your Windows XP Pro CD, and the license number will be necessary to install. It's usually on the cellophane wrap that the disk came in. Without the number, you won't get very far, unless you have a computer from a major brand company that includes the license in the system BIOS or on another partition. Companies like Dell or HP often put the entire operating system on a second partition and it will install without having to enter the number.

Before you install, I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with the steps involved. There are several sites that offer information including screenshots of what you'll see along the way. Click on them to open in a new window and see them full-sized.

Eldergeek's clean install

Eldergeek including some ACPI info

As Ronbo said, most of your drivers will be installed with Windows, but if you have a special Video card or something, it may require special drivers, and the CD should have come with any add-on card that you bought. If you have any RAID or SCSI drives, you'll need the driver disk that sets them up and you will have to put that in the floppy drive when prompted.

I don't remember what the "Temp" account was for, but I think I'd skip it. I'm pretty sure it had to do with the difference between Administrative accounts and Personal accounts. The person who sets up the first account will be the Administrator of the system, so when you put your name in there during the install, or whatever name you choose, that account will have administrative rights. It is sometimes recommended that you do not use the administrative account but rather use a second account that does not have administrative priveleges. That way, if a piece of malware does try to install itself, it can (in theory) only install to the individual's account, and if necessary, you could even delete that account to get rid of the malware after setting up another. It keeps it from spreading through the system.

One problem that can arise is if the computer has proprietary hardware, such as an HP, which uses specific hardware built for their company. Sometimes, the drivers are included in that company's install disks or partition, and using a WinXP disk to install in place of the company's setup would not have them. Then it would be a matter of going to the company's website to get them.

Another serious consideration is upgrades. Once you get the operating system installed cleanly, you can be infected while trying to get your upgrades. You need to have a firewall enabled before going on the internet, as well as other protections. These things can be burned to CD if your burner (assuming you have one) still works, then loaded immediately after install.

And since you're on DSL, I assume you'll need to reinstall their software to set up the router/modem. Remember to have your username and password and other pertinent information handy before you start the install.

Best of luck with the project.

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:53 PM

Hey John,
I've not done a reinstall and am on Home so I can't give any specific steps from experience. But there are two things you are asking about that I might can help with.

First, I, like Herk would think that backing up your data, including user accounts, is something that should be done first before you do a destructive or clean install. XP Pro should have the Windows Backup Utility already installed on your sytem, so I would run that first if you don't have another backup program.

This is where I assume he's talking about XP Home because XP Professional does not have any user names here. I am the only one using this computer but not even my name is here. There are two regular folders here, 'all users' and 'd'. And there are three hidden folders here, 'default user', 'LocalService' and 'NetworkService'. Nothing else what so ever. So I do not know what folders I should be moving to 'oldstuff' -
'all users', 'd' and (hidden folder) 'default user'?

I would say that the folder with your user data in it would be 'd'. The others are put there by windows or the manufacturer. But to find out which account is the one you log on to, go to START, right click My Documents, Properties and look at what is written in the Target Folder Location. If it is C:\Documents and Settings\d\My Documents, then d is your user account folder that you are logging into.

You should have an Administrator folder/account in Documents and Settings also--maybe you changed the name to D? The only difference in Home and Pro as far as user accounts is that Home will have an "Owner" folder which is much like the Temp folder that you describe in the tutorial you are going by. In Pro, the Administrator account serves the same purpose--it's the account you first log into when you install the Operating System. So if you are the only user and have never created another user account, you have been running from the Administrator account--which is why I say you must have changed the name to D at some time

Select your C: drive (I take it that they mean go
to programs through run here).

No, they mean to open up your hard drive in Windows Explorer. By going to My Computer and double-clicking on "Local Disk ( C )"

Another thing that you need to find out about before you start is whether you are doing a clean install from a standard Windows CD, or a recovery/restore from a disk supplied by the PC's manufacturer (OEM). If the latter you need that OEM recovery CD from the manufacturer--if you try to install a copy of the standard XP CD you're going to run into trouble.

So the basics are:

1. Backup your data
2. Reinstall
3. Restore your data from the backups--the Documents and Settings folder will include many of the settings you are using now.
4. Update your software and drivers. Anitvirus and Firewall and Windows Updates would come first.

Sorry I can't go into more detail.

Edited by Papakid, 06 March 2005 - 09:59 PM.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#6 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:35 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your recommendations. They all sound great and they already have clearified some points. "d" file probably is the one I'm looking for my personal settings. "d" apparently is the administrator user file which is what I usually operate the computer under and the computer wont let me change "d" to anything else, it says for operating or administrating perposses "d" can't be changed. I will back up everything on Documents and Settings as the About article recommends for complete reinstall and possibly some of if not most of Program Files just to be sure. Oh, yes I do have a burner and it works thank goodness. Windows Explorer, OK got it. I don't think that there is to much I have to worry about loosing Favorites. Most of my private files such as bookmarks, address book, email, calender and notes are web based for me with my ISP SBCYahoo. When I asked them about this they said all of this is on thier servers being web based. So I don't have to worry about losing it in a reinstall. My main concern is then about any settings that I might want to keep that are on my computer now that I'd want to have after the reinstall. Come to think of it I don't know if there are any other then a number of programs in Program Files folder that I want to make sure I can get after the reinstall. I think I can even pick most of those back up from sites on the web that I'm familiar with and that are in my bookmarks that I won't be losing.
But I do think I need the reinstall. My Windows Programing ran quicker with less flickering on my previous 3.4 gb (total), 333 mgh Windows 95 IBM than it does on this Custom 40 gb, 512 mb memory, about 2000 mgh Windows XP Pro. My ISP is telling me that I need to reinstall Internet Explorer just to get the links on pages to work. When I press links on almost any page like the ones you've given me for research they wont go through. They open up a new page but they don't complete. My ISP said the problem lies in Intenet Explorer and needs to be reinstalled. I can access any URLs that are thier addresses by cutting and pasting them to the address bar but none without the addresses. So I will read you guy's recommendatons that I can get to and I've already gone through some of the steps to familiarize me with how to do this. That one to go over the steps I like and have been picking up on that. I think I'll be taking some more time to go through your recommendations before I attemp to reinstall. Just to be sure you know. Thanks loads.

John

PS While I'm thinking of this do any of you guys know how to clear or get rid of unwanted repetitave listings on the Customize page of Taskbars and Start Up Menue Properties/ Taskber tab. (Right click the Task Bar, left click Properties).
I'd like to know how to do that without necessarily doing a total reinstall. All the repatition is kind of a anoying. Anyone know? Thanks again.

Edited by Johnz414, 06 March 2005 - 11:40 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#7 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:59 PM

I am assuming you mean here?

Posted Image

To clear the past notifications from the customize notification area I use this program. It is free to use although it does have an advanced version that costs you some money, but the free version is good enough for what you want to do.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

This program doesn't install itself so just unzip it to where you want it then in the Notification Area drop down menu, choose Remove Past Items and then click Remove. That will clear all the old entries from this list.

Edit: this is with WinXP

Edited by Ronbo, 07 March 2005 - 12:02 AM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users