Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Problem , Crackely And Stuttering /built In Sound

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 welshpilot

welshpilot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:34 AM

hello all
a week or so ago my sound on my pc became crackely and stuttering , i first noticed it while useing flight simulator , i thought it would be related to that but i get the same problem in windows media and div-x .
i have a build in sound on my ASUS P4S8X-X MOTHERBOARD , I have the up to date drivers and the soundMAX audio control package ( that came with the motherboard ) installed , i have 5.1 souround sound speakers ,
i have tried swaping cables around , different speakers , different settings on the control panel ,etc , no use

one other thing , i tried to use a voice control system for the flight sim (voice buddy ) and i could not get the mike to work or pick up my voice no matter what i did in settings ,
it may not be relevent but it all worked fine before i did a reinstall a few weeks ago with a bigger hard drive
runing XP with service pack 2

any help gratefully recived , the pc is hopless without sound
thank you
Bryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:16 AM

Try uninstalling Voice Buddy. If the sound is OK, then you know it was either a corrupt install of Voice Buddy or a setting in the program needs tweaked
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

Try uninstalling voice buddy and re-install the Sound driver. If this doesn't work you may need to run Mem test to test your
RAM and maybe check your Bios for errors with the sound device. If it was me, I would also run "chkdsk /r" because it's possible that
the area of the HDD where to driver sits is corrupted. This is unlikely, but it should be considered due to the problem
ocurring after swapping HDD's.

By the way, who's the mfr of the hard drive? Is it Sata or IDE?

#4 welshpilot

welshpilot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

hi both
thank you for your help
i have uninstalled voice buddy and re installed the driver , no difference , i have run chkdsk /r there is no problem there , however it get's worse , now i am losing sound all together both in the simulator and in windows media player ( which i uninstalled and downloaded the latest version ) i have to restart to get the sound back !!!
i should add that the pc has been running fine up to a 2 weeks ago when thios started , i did download some codecs and i am wondering if that may be something to do with it ??
i am ashamed to say i don't remember the maker of the drive but it is IDE , i have no idea how to check my ram but i have 2048mb instaled 1-1024 2x512 neither do i have a clue how to do the bios check ??
I wondering if i would be better off with a sound card
thank you
Bryan

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:06 PM

Is the OS a variant of Vista?

If this is the case, then I wouldn't get a sound card just yet.

Don't worry about the Bios for the moment, we can come back to this if necessary.

If you're running Vista it has a built in memory Testing program.
We'll try that if it applies to your machine.

#6 welshpilot

welshpilot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:41 PM

Hi Random user
thank you for your reply , i am running windows XP with service pack 2, intel pentium 4CPU 3.06ghz, radeon x1650 series graphics card
i appriciate your help
thank you
Bryan

#7 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:20 PM

I would check Asus to see if they have any Motherboard testing Software and also Grab a Copy of Memtest86

Burn that to CD and check your RAM out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users