Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Geforce 6100sm-m Mb Keeps Powering Down

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 malanga

malanga

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:58 AM

Hello all!

I am at my wits end with this problem. I was recently given an ECS GEForce 6100sm-m MB and AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ processor for Christmas by my brother. I purchased a case and a pair of I gig ddr 800 memory sticks from OCZ technology. I assembled the computer with no problem and installed Windows XP. At first, all ran just fine, then the computer began to shut it self off automatically. No warning, just a sudden power down as if the power plug was yanked off. I decided to swap the power supply with another one out of a know working computer. Same problem. I then noticed when I unhooked the ethernet connection the computer stopped crashing. I happened to have a spare Ethernet card so I installed it after disabling the on board ethernet. That seemed to solve the problem. The computer now ran for hours with no problem. I left the computer off for several days, then when I went back it worked fine for a couple hours, then Bam, problem returns! I check the temperature of the CPU through the bios and it remained within 29-31 Decree C for over and hour, so I suspect heating is not the problem. I cleared the bios, no change. I updated the bios to the newest version, no change. Leaving it off the internet allows it to work a little longer, but in the end it will shut down anywhere from five minutes to 30 minutes later. Other than this problem everything seems to work fine! I am at my wits end with this one. Can anyone advise? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:21 AM

Welcome to BC
What size is the power supply? It might be under-powered
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 malanga

malanga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:59 AM

450 watts is the one I replaced it with. It originally had a 350 watt supply which is why I changed it, however it made no difference. WOuld I possibly need a higher wattage supply?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

Do you happen to remember what brand the 450W is? This should give you an idea if you're in the ballpark
Power Supply Calculator
Mark
Did you use thermal compound when you attached the heatsink to the CPU?

Edited by garmanma, 27 January 2008 - 12:42 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 malanga

malanga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

The power supply is made by Xion and is 450 watts. According to the calculator you posted I should be well within the proper range. I did use some heatsink compound and the temperature seems to be within a safe range of 29 to 31 degree Celsius. So far, the computer has been functioning for 20 hours without crashing, but this did happen before and it suddenly started crashing yesterday. I wish I knew what is causing this problem...

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

Taken a look in Event Viewer in your search for clues?

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#7 malanga

malanga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

Taken a look in Event Viewer in your search for clues?

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

Well, I ran it, but I am not sure what to look for. For today I found the following errors:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 36
Date: 1/28/2008
Time: 11:09:06 AM
User: N/A
Computer: WILSON-P0AOPH7O
Description:
The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

and this:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Tcpip
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4226
Date: 1/28/2008
Time: 11:09:02 AM
User: N/A
Computer: WILSON-P0AOPH7O
Description:
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 82 10 00 80 ......
0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Do these mean anything?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:58 AM

To fix the time synch thing: Double-click on clock/time in Quick Launch Panel, click Internet Time tab...type in time-a-nist.gov as the server. Update.

In Event Viewer, you are looking for any errors which correspond (approximately) to the same time that you have these problems.

http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=10301

Louis

#9 malanga

malanga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:56 AM

Well, I found the best solution to this problem... I broke down and bought a new motherboard! After doing some research I found other people had similar problems with these motherboards and had to return them. As i had no receipt or even the box from this one, I just tossed it and bought an MSI motherboard from newegg, plopped it in and it has worked just fine ever since! What a headache that was! Thank you all for your help! :thumbsup:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:55 AM

Glad to hear you resolved it.

If you still have the board lying around, I'd be interested in acquiring same.

Louis

#11 malanga

malanga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:24 PM

Glad to hear you resolved it.

If you still have the board lying around, I'd be interested in acquiring same.

Louis

My brother asked for it back. He is going to try to return it to the shop he bought it at.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

Understood, thanks.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users