Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adware-hotbar.ink

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:59 AM

Its path was stated as C:\......Adware-Hotbar.Ink

If I read correctly, this is a potentially unwanted program and is classified as Adware.

What is it used for...I don't even know if I am using it....Hmmm....

How and where can I remove it...?? It is not in "Add/Remove Programs" and I did a "Search" which came up empty.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:54 PM

Hotbar is an add-on to the IE browser among other things. It can affect Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook. It is installed by downloading and installing an ActiveX or an installer. From Symantec: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-080410-3847-99

Symantec does mention a removal tool, but it is dated from 2004 so I don't know if it would still work.

Can you expand the column in McAfee so you can see the entire file path? If so, please post the entire file path in your next response.

What I am concerned about is that you might have more than Hotbar to be concerned about. Is your computer dishing up ads, pop-ups, or giving you other problems? If so, what are they?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:56 AM

I tried to expand the path to no avail....But I did do the "Search" which made little sense to me.

No pop-up at all....Even though "Tools/Internet Options/Privacy/"Block Pop-Ups" is NOT checked.....Just recently noticed THAT....

Active protections are AVG Free, Windows Defender, SpywareBlaster and Spybots Immunization feature....No Tea Timer

Periodically scan with AVG AntiSpyware and Ad-Aware (old version). Plus several On-Line scans...McAfee, Windows Live-One, Trend Micro and F-Secure.

I'll run McAfee's on-line scan again and tinker with the path further.......

BTW, I do not use Outlook Express or MS Outlook at all. Used to dabble with OE but lost interest somehow.

#4 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:03 AM

Well, well, well...THANK YOU Zango!!!!!!!

Juuuuust saw you as I posted.

As I stated before, I went to "Add/Remove Programs" and could not locate it. My list includes "Hijack This 1.99.1 immediately followed by HP Boot Optimizer. Shouldn't it appear between these....????Or is McAfee losing its mind......Hmmmm.....

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Sorry for the confusion here. Zango's post has been removed since we have no way of verifying that he says who he is. I did some research into the subject though, and I wanted to make a note of a few things. If Zango further wishes to discuss this issue, he can contact me via PM, and I will be glad to engage in further conversation.

First, I want to clarify the working definition of Adware. First, here is a definition from Microsoft:Advertising that is integrated into software. Adware is often combined with a host application that is provided at no charge as long as the user agrees to accept the adware. Here is another definition pulled from Wikopedia:any software package which automatically plays, displays, or downloads advertising material to a computer after the software is installed on it or while the application is being used.

As I was researching this issue, I came across the following statement from a news clip regarding the legal action that Hotbar brought agains Symantec in 2006. And I quote, " The deal calls for Symantec to dismiss its suit, but continue to classify Hotbar's program files as low-risk adware."

Strangely enough, this quote was found in a related article, ""We didn't like being called adware. We don't think we're adware," said Dobronsky. "We think we're ad-supported software."". Guess what? That's adware. Hotbar is adware.

And just one more clarification made by Zango.

The previous post listed Hotbar (provided by Zango, Inc.) as a threat.

. That is not true. Orange Blossom restated what was found on Symantec's web-site, and in no way made any other claims. 1bart stated that "this is a potentially unwanted program and is classified as Adware which is true, which is what Hotbar agreed to when they settled with Symantec.

Of special interest, the Federal Government has successfully prosecuted several vendors whose products could not be removed as advertised. It seems that this is one of those cases (the software can not be removed as advertised), and I would hope that were one serious about not being lumped in with other vendors of a lesser reputation, that one would bend over backwards to find out why the removal processes have failed.

Regardless, Hotbar is adware. And to many people, adware has extremely negative connotations. I can't say that I feel sorry that Hotbar gets painted with the same brush. Not really my problem. Hotbar is an application that integrates advertising, and as such, is adware.

I would also like to note that I have absolutely no stake in bleeping-computer. I am merely a volunteer that spends time helping people fix computer related problems. As such, these opinions and conclusions stated here are my own, and are in no way to be taken as an official statement from Bleeping Computer, or any of it's stakeholders.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

Sorry for the double post, but have you made any further progress?

#7 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:29 AM

None per se.

Since I do not find it in "Add or Remove Programs" nor does it turn up in a "Search", I did not/should not?/will not use any of the uninstallers.I do not "feel" any slowdown....or maybe I've been slow all the while.....

But since joining this astute Group(BC) and following its ideas/theories and solutions, I am highly pleased with the speed and performance of my computer.
I, as a novice, can even speed up other cluttered/infected computers of associates.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:39 AM

You should try using the uninstaller. Companies whose uninstallers that do anything other than uninstall their product tend to get into trouble.

#9 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

Which uninstaller...Symantics......Which, I think you are referring to.

BUT....Where is the program in my computer...?

It is NOT found in "Add/Remove Programs" or when a "Search" is performed.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

It could be that the file found by McAfee was left over from a previously cleaning that you don't recall. Removing Hotbar often leaves behind tracks that have to be removed manually as they are found. The uninstaller should do a better job.

You can use this uninstaller.
Click Run, follow on-screen instructions and restart your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

Alllright Quietman7...

I'll run the Uninstaller and then re-run McAfee and post.

TY

#12 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:34 PM

On the 1st click to run the Uninstaller, a window opens named "Security Alert" and states "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded".

The big red balloon of Site Advisor pops up.....So I disabled Site Advisor with the same negative result.

No "bar" appears across the top of the page to allow the download

Maybe SpywareBlaster or Spybots Immunization feature...????..Both site blockers?

Never came across this before.

#13 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

OK......

Disabled BOTH and the download went sommthly....

Note: After disabling both protections, I closed and re-opened the BC window. Perhaps that had something to do with it. I did leave Site Advisor enabled though.

Now to uninstall and re-run McAfee on-line scan.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

Ok. I was about to give you further instruction on what to do and I now see you were able to download the file.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

Yeah...It went reaaaaal "sommthly..."

Ran that uninstaller AND Symantics (Thank You Orange Blossom) in Safe Mode and......This result.

C:\...\Free PC Wallpapers.lnk Adware-Hotbar.lnk
C:\hp\bin\KillWind.exe RemAdm-PSKill

Here's the log...

Adware.Hotbar Removal Tool 1.0.5

C:\System Volume Information: (not scanned)
Adware.Hotbar has not been found on your computer.
...Was it scanned...? It ran for a total of 2 Seconds. Whereas the Symantics scan ran for almost 2hrs.

I suppose stranger things have happened.

Edited by 1Bart, 30 January 2008 - 08:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users