Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pc With Windows Xp Home , Nortons, Bigfix

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 soimcrazy

soimcrazy

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:53 AM

After my Gateway was infested with viruses and who knows what else, it died...for now.

I picked up a $298 Emachines from Walmart. Its simple but all I do is surf the web so it will get the job done. It came with the 60 day trial of Nortons and something called BIGFIX that monitors for problems.

I need to buy a GOOD all-around antivirus/firewall/keep-the-damn-spyware-out software. I've had good luck with the Nortons, until I let it expire for a couple of months. Is the BitDefender anygood? What do the mods/experts here use to defend their PC?

What about programs to keep things clean and erase unneeded junk....any recommendations?

I guess what I'd like to know is....what do the experts here use to keep everything running properly?

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:26 AM

I use AVG, ZoneAlarm, Superantispyware, and AdAware. These are all free and many of our members and staff use them. Both AVG and Zone Alarm are active and update regularly.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:45 AM

I use zonealarm, avast anti virus, adaware and spybot. I personally do not like Norton, they take up a lot of resources and slow down your computer. I had BigFix, a long time ago, it was a free program that would let you know if there were any updates for your computer as far as security and some programs. It wasn't bad, but I have'nt used it in years.. I don't know anything about bit defender... sorry... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:04 AM

On XP I used AVG, Windows Defender, and the last freeware version of the Sygate Personal Firewall

On Vista 32 bit, I used AVG, Windows Defender and the PCTools firewall

On Vista 64 bit, I use Avast, Windows Defender and the Windows firewall

Also have AdAware, SpyBot Search and Destroy - along with a couple more security apps

On XP I used AVG, Windows Defender, and the last freeware version of the Sygate Personal Firewall

On Vista 32 bit, I used AVG, Windows Defender and the PCTools firewall

On Vista 64 bit, I use Avast, Windows Defender and the Windows firewall

Also have AdAware, SpyBot Search and Destroy - along with a couple more security apps

Big Fix lets you know if updates are available for your system - but I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it school" so I don't update drivers unless I'm having issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:37 AM

I have two systems.

On one I use Avira Personal Free, Windows Defender, and SuperAntispyware. I just changed yesterday from AVG Free to Avira on this system.

On the other, I use Avira, Windows Defender, and AVG Spyware.

I've used the much-maligned NIS and NAV for about 5 years. I've also used Panda Plat 2006, Comodo AV, and various others through the years.

They all do the job on my systems, it just comes down to a (momentary, for me) user preference thing.

Louis

#6 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:42 AM

These free "gems of protection" may be found here....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

And here.....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users