Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backward Compatible Ddr-2700?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:03 AM

Thank you in advance,

Have an old Dell 4500 w/356mb DDR-2100 and have a couple extra sticks of 356mb DDR-2700 from an even older HP.

Not looking to really spend a cent on this old thing (it's for a relative) but want it to at least be a bit faster.

I know (at least I think I do) that it will slow the 2700 down, but at least it'll have a bit more ram, right?
StarMicro.com will rip you off.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:36 AM

It looks like the PC2700 should be compatible with the Dell. It has two expansion slots for RAM, and will take a maximum of 512MB in each slot. If you mix the PC2100 and the PC2700 the faster module will underclock to the slower module.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 04:28 AM

Thanks dc,
great quote btw.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:32 AM

Glad to be able to help. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

Works like a charm,
Thanks again!
:thumbsup:

#6 PaulGu

PaulGu

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

I have the reverse problem to Illuminaughty's - I have some PC2100 memory left over after upgrading one machine and I'm wondering whether I can put it into another machine which came with some PC2700 and could do with more memory.
Will the PC2100 work in that situation? Are there any risks in doing this? If it does work will the PC2100 slow down the PC2700 and if so is the effect likely to be noticeable in ordinary (email/web-browsing etc) use?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users