Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

X16 Slots?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

I've been looking around as always at stuff, and I've noticed that some motherboards say that they have two PCI x16 slots, but some say the blue runs @x16, and the black runs @x4... I'm not sure whether I need both of the slots, but I'd like to know if it would kill the chance to SLI some cards, or what?

For example:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16813131225

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:03 PM

Those two slots are for SLI or Crossfire. A lot of the older boards (and newer ones) have one of the slots clocked down to a slower speed. This will slow down the graphics card a bit especially one running at only 4X. I remember reading 8X is alright, but you should spend the extra money and get a board that has both slots X16.

So any PCIex16 card will fit in it. It's just a PCIex16 slot underclocked.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

Two x16 sized slots where one is only x4 electrical is a common setup on P965 and P35 chipsets. You can stick two graphics cards in them, but the x4 slot will limit performance on very high-end cards. Note also that neither the P965 nor the P35 chipset supports SLI, they only do Crossfire.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 27 January 2008 - 09:40 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

thats what I suspected.... so i found another board thats really close to that but with double fully x16 slots.

Thanks!

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users