Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Media Center Edition

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Andreas L

Andreas L

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

Hello People. I put a new hard disk into the laptop. Starting from zero is fine, nothing lost. Brought the unit to Office Depot with PC code and windows XP setup disks. Now I'm told that it will not work unless I get the Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 setup disk. Computer properties claims it's a 2002. Tried calling Dell to have a simple question answered, but they wanted my credit card number first. Have only been running into walls and financial obligations and still nothing resolved. Why wont windows XP do for my OS on the laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:00 AM

It should, unless you have a really, really weird non-mainstream laptop that does not have normal XP Home/Pro drivers.

EDIT: Could you give us a brand name/model for the laptop?

Edited by madman6510, 27 January 2008 - 12:03 AM.

#3 Andreas L

Andreas L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

'Morning madman6510,
My Bad, should have detailed what I'm doing. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 3800, current Hard Disk is 4GB and it's system is Windows ME. ( about 2000 - 2002 system?) I bought a 60GB hard disk (and new battery). Battery is doing fine. Hard Disk is properly installed. Not worried about lost data, so I'm not transfering Win ME, just want the laptop to have same operating system as my PC at home. My PC Is running Win Xp Media Center Edition 2005, the computer properties screen says it's a 2002 Version.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:13 AM

Is the only problem that it shows 2002 vs 2005? If so, that won't affect your ability to use the systems together.
Or is it that it won't start without the MCE 2005 disk?
Or is it that you need some certain functionality that only MCE 2005 has?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Andreas L

Andreas L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:23 AM

It's because the Computer Guy at Office depot told me he needs the MCE version, not win xp alone. I gave him my product key # for my at home operating system. That's the only way he would instal the OS onto the new hard drive. I would like to have both computers compatible in a way. Abot 2002 - 2005. It just messes me up, the computer shows me 2002, my product label shows 2005. But I think it shouldn't really be an issue.
I don't know why he can just get my laptop hard drive to run Win XP ( no MCE 2005 ). Or is it that my product key wont work this way??

Edited by Andreas L, 27 January 2008 - 08:28 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

I think that what's happening here is that you're asking him to install an operating system that's already been installed on another computer. The product key is only licensed for installation on one system (in accordance with the terms of the EULA that you have to agree to in order to use XP). Installing that product key onto a second computer can cause issues with Windows Validation and with your ability to run Windows at all (and it's illegal).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Andreas L

Andreas L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

Didn't think it's illegal since I own (bought) the running system and my name is on old and hopefully new. But I can't really argue with you, it does make sense in a way. It would seem that I would have to move Win ME to the new hard drive and hopefully just up date somehow. Or stop being a miser and buy a new computer??

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:59 AM

I don't make the rules, I just fix computers! :thumbsup:

Anywhooo - you may want to see if Dell had offered an upgrade kit for your system. That way you may be able to cut the cost down for the installation of Windows 2000 (the most current OS that they offered for the 3800). Windows 2000 should work well with the XP systems.

#9 Andreas L

Andreas L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:20 AM

Thanks, you've been a great help. For now I'll have office depot format / partition new hard disk using Win ME and go from there with your advice.
One more question, this may be the wrong area. Once all is running ok, and I have both computer connected together, could I upgrade the ME system using my PC while both are connected. Or will I go nuclear?

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:58 AM

What do you mean by upgrade the ME system? Do you mean upgrade the drivers? That should be no problem. If you mean upgrade to XP, that's a whole different can of worms. Especially since you would be upgrading form ME. You would be better of to get a full install XP disk and start from scratch
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 27 January 2008 - 10:01 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:10 AM

You can't use your other computer to upgrade this one. You'll have to purchase a copy of XP or 2000 in order to upgrade it (you'll need that unique Product Key/ID number).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users