Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shortcuts On Desktop Won't Open--xp

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 seesaw409

seesaw409

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

When I click on my shortcuts on the desktop, they won't open. All that comes up is the printer

window which wants me to select a printer to use even though I'm not wanting to print anything.

( I have 2 printers ). Now I have other icons on my desktop that open when i click on them such as

Word etc. I'm just having trouble with shortcuts that I created from web sites. I may have removed

something that caused this problem. About 3 months ago I saw something unfamiliar in trash can so

I deleted it. How it got there who knows. Seems like that was just about the same time my problem

started. Unit is 2 years old. Never had any problems. System is XP, not XP pro. Can any of you

wizards out there help.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,906 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

Hello seesaw409 and welcome to BC :flowers:

Sorry it's been so long for us to get to you. Can you remember any details about the "something" that you deleted from the trash can? If so, please describe. Also, are you experiencing any other issues with your computer? Knowing this can help us diagnose the problem.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

Have you re-created the shortcuts on your desktop?
For one that won't open-add it again, then click on it.
Let us know whether or not it opens.

#4 seesaw409

seesaw409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:42 PM

I removed shortcut and reinstalled and then clicked on it. I still get my printer window

I have no idea what i deleted in the recycle bin

Edited by seesaw409, 04 February 2008 - 10:43 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:21 PM

What happens when you select a printer to use?

#6 seesaw409

seesaw409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:01 AM

when i click on the shortcut the printer window comes up. When i click on the printer to

print, it will print the page of the shortcut that i saved.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,906 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:24 AM

Most intriguing.

How do you create the shortcuts for the webpages? Please provide the step-by-step process.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 seesaw409

seesaw409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:25 PM

when i am at a website that i am interested in and may want to go back to in a few days, i

just right click on that page and then click on create shortcut. that has worked for years but

now it doesn't.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:42 PM

when i am at a website that i am interested in and may want to go back to in a few days, i
just right click on that page and then click on create shortcut. that has worked for years but
now it doesn't.

Odd, I tried to do what you said and I don't have the option to "create shortcut"
I take that back, it won't do that in Mozilla, but you have that option in I.E.7. Which leads me to believe it's something funky with Internet Explorer
What version of I.E. are you using? Fist, try clearing all of your history, temp., and cookie files. Read this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378
Is SP2 installed and Windows Updates current?
You are aware of how to use the Favorites folder at the top of the browser, correct?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 05 February 2008 - 02:44 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 seesaw409

seesaw409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:17 PM

i have IE 7.0 I clean my computer all the time ( cookies history files etc. )

all updates are current SP2 ok and i use favorites all the time and i defrag often

Edited by seesaw409, 05 February 2008 - 08:18 PM.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:44 PM

So did you uninstall / reinstall I.E.7?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users