Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Missing Installer, Programs, Internet

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bmxman4130

bmxman4130

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:53 PM

Hi All,

My laptop is missing some important files to function properly. So far windows installer is gone, add/remove programs, all internet connections/network places, can't copy/paste otherwise could move missing files from desktop to laptop. Any help is appreciated. thanks[/size]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

Hello,

What security software are you running? this could be an infection.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 bmxman4130

bmxman4130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

Running Nortons Antivirus. There was a Vundo? infection, but I think most of it is cleared. It wiped out most of my antivirus now, and can't run it. Tryed to reinstall, missing windows installer, and can't run. Assuming the virus took down some of my files, figured Adaware, spybot, antivirus deleted them. Any way to get them back? thanks

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

To recover files, you need recovery software but if you recover files that have been infected, you risk bringing back the infection. in windows download centre you should be able to download windows installer. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
Regards,

Alan.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

If I had a known infection of my system...and tried to go with that same O/S install...and discovered key elements missing or malfunctioning, I'd just do a clean install rather than spend the rest of my life trying to solve problems that may not be solvable...by any method other than a clean install.

Louis

#6 bmxman4130

bmxman4130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

HI all,

Alan, my internet connection is down on my laptop. I have downloaded installer on a SD card, and tried that but wouldn't take it. Louis, my laptop has a lot of my work info I need, website stuff, videos, etc. I would do clean install but want to save this stuff somehow? Can't copy/paste any other way to save info? thanks

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

In a situation like this I would take the hard drive out of the laptop and place it into an external caddy and connect it to another system and use that to remove the files. However as you are having problems with a laptop, this could prove problematic. You would need to find either a laptop to desktop cable or a laptop external hard drive case like these...
http://www.google.com/products?client=oper...=utf-8&um=1 if you want to continue be aware that the procedure I have detailed will probably void the warranty and you will need to make sure that the case is compatible with the drive first.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 bmxman4130

bmxman4130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

HI,

I checked out the cases, but what do they do? is it a portable harddrive or take out my laptop harddrive and plug in? thanks, mike

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

They are external cases, removing the hard drive from the laptop and fitting it into the case will allow you to use it as an external hard drive so you can safely copy the files from the drive to another computer.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 bmxman4130

bmxman4130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

Nice, but could the desktop become infected if the complete virus was not removed?

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

It is possible that the other system may become infected, but as long as it employed a good security products it should be fine. or you could create a virtual machine and copy the files to it then using this as a safe enviroment you can scan the files safely with little to no risk.
Regards,

Alan.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:53 PM

Nice, but could the desktop become infected if the complete virus was not removed?

I'm in the middle of doing exactly that. You can read the thread for some scanning site suggestions
Mark

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/126785/scanning-infected-laptop-drive/
I'll add links to the different sites I used tonight

Edited by garmanma, 28 January 2008 - 01:55 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 bmxman4130

bmxman4130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

I found that I can use my Roxio CD burner to get my files off to do a complete new install. Do you guys know how I can get my programs off? IE Quicktime PRO, Dreamweaver etc? Just copy Program files? thanks,

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

You can't remove programs like that as the more advanced ones will have entries in the registry and in windows system folders too. you will need to take note of your product keys for the individual software so that when you re download them, you can enter the key again.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users