Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Wireless Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 scottirwin

scottirwin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 03:37 PM

Well here's hoping someone can help. We moved to a new condo complex, and I set up my wireless network. Try to keep the flames to a minimum, but it's a Microsoft router. A neighbor has an unsecured network with a good signal so his network always shows available. I simply set my laptop to choose my network first and life is good. My wife however has conflicts. Her laptop will never connect automatically. She shows both networks available but to connect to ours she must go to wireless zero config in services change to manual, and connect in the wireless network dialog box EVERY time she starts the computer, or wakes the computer from standby. This procedure has taught my wife how to curse. Here's the kicker: at our office she connect automatically every time, avoiding "the procedure". She's tried blocking the second network at home and "zero config" tips from other boards to no avail. Of course since I had networking classes in college she thinks I know the fix but am instead working a plot to drive her insane. The truth is that I haven't a clue what to try next. All she now wants out of life is to automatically connect to our home network. If any of you have any ideas, I am open to them.

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:06 PM

My advise, disable wireless zero config and configure it manually. Wireless zero config means exactly what it says, zero config. I think its buggy and useless, others may disagree.

If you have linksys cards, you can use their software to make manual profiles that they use by default. She can then switch from one to the other based upon home or office.

Other cards may have similar software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users