Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Advice Needed Re Laptop Specs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dizzydancingdude

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

Please forgive my ignorance if this is posted in the wrong forum.

A friend's considering getting a laptop for her daughter to primarily play internet games.
Could anyone advise me as to whether the specs below would be ok

Intel Celeron processor M 540 1.86GHz
80GB Hard Drive
15.4" widescreen display
16:10 format for optimised DVD playback
Windows Vista Home Basic
Dual layer dvd rewriter
VIA Chrome9 HC DirectX 9 graphics
Built-in wireless networking (802.11b/g)
NERO Burning ROM 7 Essentials
1MB Level2 Cache
FSB 533 MHz

Help would be v much appreciated!
Many thanks

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 26 January 2008 - 01:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

The system looks ok for playing simple online games, however, the OS is vista which is power hungry at best and 512MB might not be enough to satisfy it.

#3 PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:03 AM

Vista basic Really means BASIC its not as fun looking and a kid would rather have home Premium to get the full use of Vista. But if this is all you could find for the price you want to spend it will work fine. I would Look into upgrading to at lease 1GB of ram on Vista Basic and 2GB of ram on Home Premium.

other then that looks good for online games unless there playing games that come on Cds or games that come from places like Steam.
Im saying Cd games or Steam games because most likely you wouldnt want to play them on a laptop. the processor wouldn't be the best for that and nearly not enough ram.

#4 sparkyuiop

• Banned
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:08 PM

Personally I would wipe it clean, install XP home, registered in your name and then download the drivers for it. Windows Vista is still unstable and there is still no service pack for it which it desperatly needs.
Also alot of software over 12 months old will not run on Vista and you will need to buy the new versions.
Windows XP is by far the most up to date and stable version of windows ever made. It is not power hungry and will suit your system much better than Vista as it is minimum spec for Vista and above minimum for XP.
PoweredByGoogle has a good point about upgrading the ram though, even with XP it will be a big noticable difference.
I hope I have been of some help to you.

Edited by sparkyuiop, 06 February 2008 - 04:13 PM.

#5 Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,080 posts
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:34 PM

What kind of budget are we working with? The computer will be ok for playing games on yahoo etc..but depending on the age of the kid it will be outdated fast (Doing more on the computer, wanting to do more at the same time is taxing on a single core processor with minimal ram). Vista with only 512mb of ram may not be a good Idea, as mentioned above I would install XP home edition or upgrade the memory at least. If they can afford better I would opt for a dual core processor. It won't get outdated as fast.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users