Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Boot In Restart Only - Power On Works Fine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sabinoerc

sabinoerc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:43 PM

Hi,
I just got a Lenovo T61P from work (IBM) with the corporate preloaded software - it had a Windows Vista sticker but it appears to be Windows XP from System tab. The problem:
- when I do a shutdown-restart the boot fails with message "Cannot boot from any device" and lists potential boot devices - the hard disk is listed and it points to "No Valid Operating System" (The hard disk is listed 3rd in order - I have gone into BIOS and changed it to first in order with no change).
- when I power off and power back on everything boots up OK
This is very repeatable - always fails on restart, always works on power up

The confusion factors:
- I don't recall if I ever restarted the machine before I migrated all my stuff over and loaded applications, etc. So I don't know if it came this way fresh or something I did to it broke it. I'm assuming that it's not a corporate load problem as there would be 1000s of problems just like me. I guess it could be a specific hardware problem on my machine.
- I noticed the new machine had the security chip but wasn't enabled. I enabled it and went to Lenovo site and downloaded the Client Security Software (I believe it was 7.0 or 8.0) for Windows Vista (I hadn't looked in system info to note that my machine was XP - I just looked at sticker). This installed fine and required a restart. When it rebooted I had the problem listed above - this is the first time I overtly remember a system restart.
- I uninstalled the CSS application. still same problem
- I disabled the security chip - still same problem
- I reloaded & installed Client Security Software 8.1 for Windows XP - the required restart had same problem

one more thing: When I enabled the security chip I set BIOS passwords for the various options.

It seems a BIOS/boot problem which only occurs on a restart - always works on power on should be something fixable - so I'd appreciate any ideas, suggestions, etc.
The next step would be to reload a fresh corporate operating system/appps, etc - but I've already spent alot of time loading my stuff and customizing so I'd like not to redo that!
Thanks in advance

Edited by sabinoerc, 26 January 2008 - 01:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sabinoerc

sabinoerc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:49 PM

Well - I resolved the problem, that is, at least it's booting on restart now.
After writing this up and trying to think of everything I did - I went back and disabled/removed any BIOS passwords and options I changed. This fixed the problem. I have since re-entered and reset options as I thought I had them when it didn't work -and everything is still OK.

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

Welcome to BC. Maybe your problem and solution will help someone around here.

#4 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

There have been a couple of other Lenovo problems this week.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:17 AM

When in doubt - reset everything to "default". This provides the most stable base to troubleshoot from. When making changes, only make one at a time and be sure to test thoroughly before making the next change.

If these are BIOS settings that you're changing - then learn how to reset the BIOS by using the CMOS Reset jumper or by removing the internal battery (along with the external battery and power cord) to reset the BIOS. That way you won't be locked out of the BIOS with no recourse.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users