I just got a Lenovo T61P from work (IBM) with the corporate preloaded software - it had a Windows Vista sticker but it appears to be Windows XP from System tab. The problem:
- when I do a shutdown-restart the boot fails with message "Cannot boot from any device" and lists potential boot devices - the hard disk is listed and it points to "No Valid Operating System" (The hard disk is listed 3rd in order - I have gone into BIOS and changed it to first in order with no change).
- when I power off and power back on everything boots up OK
This is very repeatable - always fails on restart, always works on power up
The confusion factors:
- I don't recall if I ever restarted the machine before I migrated all my stuff over and loaded applications, etc. So I don't know if it came this way fresh or something I did to it broke it. I'm assuming that it's not a corporate load problem as there would be 1000s of problems just like me. I guess it could be a specific hardware problem on my machine.
- I noticed the new machine had the security chip but wasn't enabled. I enabled it and went to Lenovo site and downloaded the Client Security Software (I believe it was 7.0 or 8.0) for Windows Vista (I hadn't looked in system info to note that my machine was XP - I just looked at sticker). This installed fine and required a restart. When it rebooted I had the problem listed above - this is the first time I overtly remember a system restart.
- I uninstalled the CSS application. still same problem
- I disabled the security chip - still same problem
- I reloaded & installed Client Security Software 8.1 for Windows XP - the required restart had same problem
one more thing: When I enabled the security chip I set BIOS passwords for the various options.
It seems a BIOS/boot problem which only occurs on a restart - always works on power on should be something fixable - so I'd appreciate any ideas, suggestions, etc.
The next step would be to reload a fresh corporate operating system/appps, etc - but I've already spent alot of time loading my stuff and customizing so I'd like not to redo that!
Thanks in advance
Edited by sabinoerc, 26 January 2008 - 01:24 PM.