Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Email Client For Seniors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 compu5020

compu5020

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

What email client would you most recommend for a senior who is new to computing and wants to send some basic email? I was figuring she'd probably just use Outlook Express since it's already on the computer and it's integrated with Windows, but although I haven't used it for awhile myself, I think it may be somewhat confusing for a new computer user. I was thinking maybe I could find some kind of theme for Thunderbird, but again, it may be somewhat confusing. I found FamilyMail, but it appears that their website is gone. Any suggestions? Free would be best.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:12 AM

Have you considered browser based webmail? Or is there a reason you you want a client? Possibly so that emails can be composed off line then sent? Just wondering what all the specific needs are, beyond the preference of free, to help refine the possibilities.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 compu5020

compu5020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

A client would be best because with dial-up internet, it would be preferable to be able to take take as long they want to compose the message, and then send it by dialing up. It will probably be used through Gmail (even though the webmail version is good, I think it would be better to have a client with dial-up), so POP or IMAP would work. Broadband may be in the future, but not now.

#4 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

A very nice and easily managed alternative to OE and Thunderbird is Foxmail.

It has a small footprint, but contains all you need in a simple interface.

Despite the name, it has nothing to do with Mozilla/Firefox but is in fact a Chinese prog.
I've used it for years.

Should add, it's free and no strings attached.

Edited by alumbagh, 26 January 2008 - 12:19 PM.

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 06:06 PM

Wow! I had no idea about Foxmail. Firefox is my default browser but I've never been able to get used to Thunderbird, so I've always stuck with Outlook Express. I think I'll give it a try.

But to the question about the Senior computer. Being a Senior myself, I think she'd do best with Outlook Express. Why? Because if she ran into problems or just had questions about it, it's a popular program and she can readily get help with it online or from other users she knows.

Also, it has the advantage of composing off line and sending when ready, as opposed to webmail. That's a big plus, especially for dial-up users.

But if you want to try the Foxmail for her, it does look pretty neat. I did search some customer reviews about it and noticed some people had problems.... so there again, getting help might be problematic since it's from a Chinese developer. I read some reviews here:
http://www.softpedia.com/progViewOpinions/10-3-1-38,.html

It might be different now in newer versions but the program description also said:

"By default the Foxmail interface is in Chinese. To use Foxmail in English just go into the installation directory and delete the Chinese.lgb file"

Edited by mommabear, 26 January 2008 - 06:07 PM.

#6 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:46 AM

Morning, mommabear.

You make some cogent arguments for sticking with OE in the circumstances described by the original poster, and I am inclined to agree.

It is so long since I installed Foxmail that I had forgotten about the need to "translate" and I am not sure if the newer versions are the same. I have never updated from the original (bad me :thumbsup: )

I never liked Thunderbird, but then again I never liked Firefox either ........I'm an Opera fan :flowers:

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:51 AM

I am also a senior citizen and have used Hotmail since I began on PC's about 6-7yrs ago and I find it easy to use and no problem.

By the way you mustn't think that just because we are old we are also decrepit, after all we brought your generation to the world!!!.LOL.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#8 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:49 AM

Morning, bluesjunior.

I bet I could give you a few years, my next birthday will have a nine followed by a five in it !!
:thumbsup:

My comments were not based on the age of the person mentioned in the original post, but the fact that he/she is described as being "new to computing".

#9 BrookinMT

BrookinMT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

You might look into Presto's email machine. It's not an email client, but allows those who don't use computers to receive email from friends/family. Just plugs into a phone jack.

It does not allow the recipient to email back, but makes it really easy for all their friends/family to communicate with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users